The Weather Channel turns up the heat on DirecTV

The Weather Channel (CMCSA) unloads on DirecTV (DTV +0.1%) for its steep termination fee policy and has gone to the lengths of asking viewers to switch providers.

The network has been dark on DirecTV since January 13 and has missed a ratings bonanza with a massive East Coast storm in progress.

What to watch: The DirecTV vs TWC battle is being closely watched in the industry as the satellite operator boldly wants to see TWC alter its programming away from reality TV. If the network caves, DirecTV could have leverage in future content deals.

From other sites
Comments (6)
  • dacama1
    , contributor
    Comments (228) | Send Message
    I hope TWC loses this battle.
    22 Jan 2014, 10:38 AM Reply Like
  • Rivalsjp
    , contributor
    Comments (19) | Send Message
    Good for DTV. I could careless about paying more for TWC when I only watch for a few minutes a week. When I do watch I want to see weather coverage, not the other crap. Glad DTV is standing its ground.
    22 Jan 2014, 10:46 AM Reply Like
  • Patience29
    , contributor
    Comments (214) | Send Message
    Looks like DTV has already replaced it with WeatherNationHD. TWC should have stuck with what it knows best: Weather ..and not deviate into areas they know little if nothing about.

Aren't there enough reality shows already? Are any of those any good?

I think not.
    22 Jan 2014, 12:06 PM Reply Like
  • 1RoxFan
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message
    TWC already lost that battle (and my personal viewership) when it deviated away from what made it great - WEATHER coverage...

Their move to "weathertainment" reality-based programming was the beginning of this slide into irrelevance...

Good for DTV - I hope they hold their ground, because I support them 100%
    22 Jan 2014, 01:54 PM Reply Like
  • Valueplay98
    , contributor
    Comments (584) | Send Message
    Weather is weather - I'm with DTV on this one, and a DTV subscriber.
    22 Jan 2014, 02:22 PM Reply Like
  • onesun
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message
    I have not turned on Weather Channel in a long time. In the past every time I wanted to check the weather it wasn't there. They were running a 'reality' program. When Comcast bought it they ruined with all this other programming.
    Come on it is the Weather Channel !!!!

Good for DirectTV there are other weather providers out there that they can utilize,
    22 Jan 2014, 08:14 PM Reply Like