- World smartphone shipments topped 1B for the first time in 2013, rising 38% to 1.004B units, research firm IDC estimates.
- Q4 shipments grew 24.2% to 284.4M.
- Total handset volume increased 4.8% in 2014 to 1.82B units. Q4 shipments +0.9% to 488.4M.
- "Among the top trends driving smartphone growth are large screen devices and low cost," IDC says. "Markets like China and India are quickly moving toward a point where sub-$150 smartphones are the majority of shipments."
- Smartphone vendor shipments in 2013: Samsung (SSNGY) +42.9% to 313.9M, market share 31.3%; Apple (AAPL) +12.9% to 153.4M, market share 15.3%; Huawei +67.5% to 48.8M, market share 4.9%. (PR)
- Other relevant tickers: GOOG, MSFT, SNE, LGEAF
Smartphone shipments top 1B for 1st time; Samsung extends lead
Jan 28 2014, 03:45 ET