- European shares are higher as investors await the start of a two-day meeting of the FOMC today.
- Attention is also on Turkey's central bank to see what measures it will take to stabilize the volatile lira. Rate hikes appear to be a near certainty but there's speculation about capital controls as well.
- Following earnings, Siemens is +1.6% but Philips is -0.7%.
- In the U.S., Apple is -6.7% premarket in the wake of its financial report yesterday, helping to send down Nasdaq futures.
- EU Stoxx 50 +0.6%, London +0.4%, Paris +0.7%, Frankfurt +0.7%, Milan +0.85%, Madrid +1.5%.
- U.S. stock futures: Dow +0.5%. S&P +0.5%. Nasdaq -0.25%
European stocks rise ahead of the FOMC, Turkish central bank
Jan 28 2014, 05:29 ET