Gold/silver names open strong amid broader market drop

Comments (12)
  • Doug Eberhardt
    Comments (2723) | Send Message

Anyone care to explain this to me? "Gold/Silver names open strong amid broader market drop."

How about this headline instead: "Gold/Silver open stronger with emerging market currencies around the world chasing the safe havens." ???
    29 Jan, 09:59 AM Reply Like
  • DeepValueLover
    Comments (8130) | Send Message

It seems that most (if not all) mainstream financial media commentary on gold has an obvious negative tone. I'm not sure why but that is the way it is.
    Note the tone of "commentators" and "journalists" when they talk about Twitter or Facebook stock vs. when they speak of gold and silver.
    Anyways...January 2014 is not turning out the way gold bears thought it would in December 2013.
    29 Jan, 10:43 AM Reply Like
  • filipo
    Comments (2721) | Send Message

Deep,
    "I'm not sure why"
    You must be kidding.
    I had a glance at your profile and I'm sure you perfectly well know why.
    It must be humor I perceived.
    29 Jan, 11:49 AM Reply Like
  • ted lujan
    Comments (510) | Send Message

I like the P/M stocks with KGC as one of my favorites. The currency balloon is at the bursting point it's just a matter of when.
    29 Jan, 10:21 AM Reply Like
  • Rusty Brown in Cda
    Comments (38) | Send Message

If you're writing from the U.S. then you mean Kinross, no doubt.

Here in Canada, KGC is Kestrel Gold - a different situation entirely.

On Canadian exchanges, Kinross is just "K".

Just to clarify.
    29 Jan, 10:39 AM Reply Like
  • TJI
    Comments (7) | Send Message

Bought $SLW when the market opend this am. hoping to get some midday help from the FED minutes
    29 Jan, 01:34 PM Reply Like
  • 6151621
    Comments (1148) | Send Message

I'll second (or fourth) that vote Doug. I'm still happy with gold, gdx and nugt action. Looking for 50 Day breakout on gdx soon -- otherwise everyone should lookout below.
    29 Jan, 04:37 PM Reply Like
  • nooseah
    Comments (289) | Send Message

The mainstream media are fed a line by 'vested interests' which gets repeated over and over so all you hear is negative stuff from them. The fact is, Western Central banks DO care what happens to the gold price - not only because it threatens their doomed fiat experiment but because the bullion banks are structurally short the metal and can't dig themselves out of their predicament. This threatens the solvency of the entire financial system and with most western governments now effectively broke, there will be no more bailouts. Capital controls can't be far off now.
    29 Jan, 05:07 PM Reply Like
  • NuclearDickie
    Comments (232) | Send Message

I listen to Bloomberg radio on my way to work. When they are quoting the prices of commodities, they often leave gold off the list if it is up. It is always there when it is down. Even one of their ads, which they play all the time says "and gold is trading off about 1%." They want it to go in one direction, sub $1k.
    29 Jan, 05:54 PM Reply Like
  • DeepValueLover
    Comments (8130) | Send Message

Bingo!

Bloomberg and CNBC are two heads on the same snake when it comes to gold.
    29 Jan, 09:19 PM Reply Like
  • 6151621
    Comments (1148) | Send Message

These are programs (cnbc/bloomberg) are like soap operas or maybe it is reality TV. Limited actionable news content.
    30 Jan, 09:15 AM Reply Like
  • ted lujan
    Comments (510) | Send Message

According to Bloomberg the dollar seems to be the last place to put your money as a safe heaven, other than gold that is. What a bunch of baloney. What they should have said is the dollar is the last one standing, so put your money in gold. I added LSG to my gold positions today. It sure looks better to me than the dollar as a safe heaven.
    31 Jan, 12:05 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: