- It's official: Microsoft (MSFT) has named enterprise/cloud product chief Satya Nadella its new CEO, ending a 14-year run by Steve Ballmer. Bill Gates is resigning as chairman, and will begin a new role as a "technology adviser."
- Lead independent director John Thompson is Microsoft's new chairman. Gates and (for now) Ballmer will remain on the board, and Nadella will join it.
- Microsoft adds Gates will (as rumored) "spend more time at the company." He's expected to once again be closely involved in product development.
- MSFT +0.7% premarket.
- Nadella's e-mail to Microsoft employees.
- More on Microsoft/Nadella