Microsoft names Nadella CEO, Gates steps down as chairman

• It's official: Microsoft (MSFT) has named enterprise/cloud product chief Satya Nadella its new CEO, ending a 14-year run by Steve Ballmer. Bill Gates is resigning as chairman, and will begin a new role as a "technology adviser."
  • Lead independent director John Thompson is Microsoft's new chairman. Gates and (for now) Ballmer will remain on the board, and Nadella will join it.
  • Microsoft adds Gates will (as rumored) "spend more time at the company." He's expected to once again be closely involved in product development.
  • MSFT +0.7% premarket.
  • Nadella's e-mail to Microsoft employees.
  • More on Microsoft/Nadella
Comments (6)
  • aphmd
    , contributor
    Comments (105) | Send Message

Sell MSFT tomorrow. Then re-buy once the dust settles.
    4 Feb 2014, 09:33 AM Reply Like
  • chopchop0
    , contributor
    Comments (3792) | Send Message

Maybe Gates playing more of a role will be like Steve Jobs a la AAPL?
    4 Feb 2014, 10:25 AM Reply Like
  • NYCTEXASBANKER
    , contributor
    Comments (2665) | Send Message

chopchop0

I would prefer that BG ride into the sunset and drag SB behind the horse he's riding.
    4 Feb 2014, 10:37 AM Reply Like
  • NYCTEXASBANKER
    , contributor
    Comments (2665) | Send Message

aphmd

I disagree, I feel MSFT has been so mismanaged that Nadella can't do much harm while if he can change a few cultural problems you will end up paying more.
    Looking back at Disney Iger was believed to be following in Eisner's shoes and we now see he has done extremely well
    My inclination is to hold and decide after the summer I see a down side of 4 and an upside of 10. Due to my cost my dividend return is high so I'm willing to wait and see
    IF BG & SB are still calling the shots, I'll be out at the end of the year.
    4 Feb 2014, 10:30 AM Reply Like
  • 4Winston4Ever
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Nadella's email to employese is a great start & I think opportunity is at hand. I certainly wouldn't bet against him or short MSFT right here.
    4 Feb 2014, 12:12 PM Reply Like
  • aphmd
    , contributor
    Comments (105) | Send Message

Just a clarification: I meant short now after the stock price increases from the announcement, rebuy when the excitement fizzles, and stay long.
    5 Feb 2014, 09:08 AM Reply Like