- Samsung (SSNLF) has sent out invites for a Feb. 24 event at the Mobile World Congress that's expected to feature the launch of the Galaxy S5. Separately, Korean and Indian sites indicate the S5, like the S4, will eventually be accompanied by a water/dust-resistant Active version, and a Zoom version featuring a camera with an optical zoom.
- The timing of the S5 event is three weeks ahead of when the S4 launched last year.
- The S5 is expected to have ~5.25" display with a whopping 2K (2560x1440) resolution, a 16MP camera, and a fingerprint sensor. It might also ship in both a costlier metal version and a cheaper plastic version.
- The launch of Samsung's next flagship will follow a downbeat Q4 report, and a reported deal with Google in which Samsung agreed to tone down its efforts to offer custom apps/UIs for its Android hardware.
- Samsung is facing stiffening competition from Chinese OEMs as Android sales continue seeing a mix shift towards cheaper hardware (often sold in emerging markets). Following an epic rise from 2011-2013, IDC estimates Samsung's smartphone share fell 30 bps Y/Y in Q4 to 28.8%.
- Companies likely to have strong S5 exposure (as a % of total revenue): OLED, ANAD, SYNA, RFMD, MXIM.
Samsung sets S5 event for Feb. 24, reportedly preps variants
Feb 4 2014, 14:07 ET