- Expedia (EXPE) has soared to new highs after handily beating Q4 EPS estimates and reporting a sizable acceleration in gross bookings growth (+21% Y/Y vs. +15% in Q3). Archrival Priceline (PCLN) is following Expedia higher, as is Orbitz (OWW), whose shares are up 2.4% AH.
- The bookings growth was fueled by a 25% Y/Y increase in hotel room nights (up from 20% in Q3), and a 13% increase in air tickets sold. Revenue/hotel room night fell 9%, and revenue per air ticket rose 3%.
- Domestic bookings +19% Y/Y to $4.98B, international bookings +24% to $4.12B. Agency bookings +26% to $5.25B, merchant bookings +15% to $3.86B.
- Much like Priceline, Expedia continues spending heavily on search ads: Sales/marketing spend +23% Y/Y to $484M (42% of revenue). Technology/content spend +15% to $155M.
- If history is any guide, TripAdvisor (TRIP) might also follow Expedia higher. TripAdvisor reports on Feb. 11, and Priceline on Feb. 20.
Expedia +12.3% AH on Q4 beat, strong bookings; Priceline +1.5%
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (Mar 3, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Feb 13, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Feb 12, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (Feb 6, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Feb 5, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs