GoPro confidentially files for IPO

• GoPro, maker of a line of wearable sports/action cameras that have achieved cult status with many of their users, has confidentially filed for an IPO.
  • In preparation for its IPO, GoPro recently hired Qualcomm exec Jack Lazar to be its CFO. 14 months ago, the company sold an 8.9% stake to giant contract manufacturer Foxconn at a $2.25B valuation.
  • Ambarella (AMBA +3.8%) whose video-processing SoCs power GoPro's cameras, are up strongly today after selling off earlier this week.
Comments (27)
  • J Mintzmyer
    Comments (3577) | Send Message

These guys are Kodak in a hard plastic box... really?
    7 Feb, 11:06 AM Reply Like
  • OPie415
    Comments (151) | Send Message

No, these guys have a GOOD product. I see them all over the place at the lake. Everyone has them attached to PWC's and boats.
    7 Feb, 03:29 PM Reply Like
  • Silicon Valley Insights
    Comments (79) | Send Message

TIME TO COVER ANY AMBA SHORTS
    7 Feb, 11:18 AM Reply Like
  • QTurner
    Comments (19) | Send Message

These are all over the ski resorts near me.
    7 Feb, 01:16 PM Reply Like
  • losbronces
    Comments (612) | Send Message

Lots of competition in this field (wearable video cameras), Sony, Garmin, Panasonic and JVC come to mind immediately. I'm sure there are more, like this one: http://bit.ly/1bDD6Fi .
    7 Feb, 02:36 PM Reply Like
  • Joseph Poma
    Comments (437) | Send Message

GoPro is best in the industry. Even TV studios use their cameras on a regular basis.
    9 Feb, 01:47 AM Reply Like
  • notcalder
    Comments (25) | Send Message

If you know anything about skiing/mountain biking/extremesports you'll know that Go Pro is the go to brand. I know nothing about their business model, but I know that they're doing something right, their use has exploded over the last few years. Everyone has one of these on the ski/bike hills these days. I know loads of friends who use them and they have great looking displays in every ski/bike shop you visit. I know not one person who uses a Sony, Garmin, Panasonic or JVC. I've never even seen anyone with those brands.
    7 Feb, 02:55 PM Reply Like
  • losbronces
    Comments (612) | Send Message

Ok, I guess based on your statement, Sony, Garmin, etc. are just making those to have them sit on the shelves. You will be investing in Go Pro based on their ability to maintain their successful branding. Good luck to you.
    7 Feb, 03:17 PM Reply Like
  • QTurner
    Comments (19) | Send Message

I'll give Garmin credit with their VIRB camera but I don't think they can even come close to half a billion in annual sales (not including GPS). The outdoor world really is dominated by Go Pro. I have friends who surf in CA and use it and when I'm home in VT I see it all over ski resorts. Keep in mind this is a company whose vision is concentrated around this one product so their entire effort goes into the quality and growth. No distractions
    7 Feb, 03:34 PM Reply Like
  • bgudgel
    Comments (24) | Send Message

GoPro's branding is second to none. I know those other companies are making products, but there is virtually no competition in the mind of GoPro's target market.
    7 Feb, 03:34 PM Reply Like
  • mrholty
    Comments (803) | Send Message

My kids love their GoPro. They use it for everything. Earlier comments are correct in that there is GoPro and everyone else.

That said I'm not going to touch the IPO at a $2.2B valuation. The main reason. There product is so good I have no desire/need to buy a new one. Same with my friends.

Smart move to IPO now.
    7 Feb, 03:50 PM Reply Like
  • Ol Blue Eyes
    Comments (770) | Send Message

What 2.2 billion valuation? Up above it says that Foxconn paid 2.2 billion for only an 8.9 percent stake in the company. At what value is the remaining 91.1 percent worth?

A billion dollars ain't what it used to be.
    7 Feb, 05:50 PM Reply Like
  • medzjohn
    Comments (218) | Send Message

It said Foxconn bought 8.9% stake at a company valuation of 2.2 billion, implying a $200 million investment by Foxconn.
    8 Feb, 11:22 AM Reply Like
  • divStrong
    Comments (139) | Send Message

The same was said about the iPod, then the iPhone, then the iPad - lighter, better, faster, higher-def, more flexible, compatible, etc. The idea that the GoPro product your kids have today will be the same GoPro product they have 2, 5, and 10 years from now seems very unlikely (and short sighted).

Some may laugh at the comparison to Apple, but consumers of the product know first hand it is top rate, and their loyalty to the brand is akin to a blood relative.
    8 Feb, 12:38 PM Reply Like
  • notcalder
    Comments (25) | Send Message

Hey, I didn't say I was intending to invest in Go Pro, though I might do a bit more research having heard this news. As I said I know nothing of their business model or fair valuation. I was just offering some on the ground observation on the product. They've obviously got a pretty good product/niche going on. If you think Sony/Garmin/Panasonic or JVC is a better play then good luck to you. My point is that I don't think you'll see these brands in the outdoor/extreme sports field anytime soon, Go Pro dominates here. That's what they do and they clearly do it well. Seems like others would agree from comments below.
    8 Feb, 01:22 PM Reply Like
  • tipper 1
    Comments (110) | Send Message

Maybe AE has one of those brands
    7 Feb, 03:09 PM Reply Like
  • Hendershott
    Comments (1497) | Send Message

None of the competition is nearly as good as GoPro. Garmin's video supplier is getting out of the business, as is TXN saying it doesn't justify the investment.There's more to GoPro. They're doing a billion dollars of business, AMBA is doing 150 million and a lot of that is surveillance related.
    7 Feb, 03:22 PM Reply Like
  • ur a fool
    Comments (2) | Send Message

They have complete market dominance when it comes to sports/action cameras
    7 Feb, 05:30 PM Reply Like
  • Regarded Solutions
    Comments (15445) | Send Message

Obviously selling an entire position based on a shorters article on AMBA was wrong.

Long AMBA
    7 Feb, 07:57 PM Reply Like
  • richie the diver
    Comments (7) | Send Message

I see the branding in every surf and Scuba shop i walk into as well. do some on the ground homework on these guys, and you'll find them at camping stores as well. they have an incredible branding and penetration into certain niche marketplaces.
    8 Feb, 08:17 AM Reply Like
  • alanj96
    Comments (4) | Send Message

Just a question, Is GoPro joined at the hip with AMBA or can that change?
    8 Feb, 12:50 PM Reply Like
  • Regarded Solutions
    Comments (15445) | Send Message

AMBA supplies the highest quality products for GoPro. Excellent business relationship.
    8 Feb, 02:59 PM Reply Like
  • Silicon Valley Insights
    Comments (79) | Send Message

If you would like my positive thoughts on GoPro and its key supplier AMBA, please give me your email address.
    10 Feb, 09:37 AM Reply Like
  • provengers666
    Comments (27) | Send Message

Freackyguy666@yahoo.com

Does AMBA hold any equity in GOPRO?
    12 Feb, 02:23 PM Reply Like
  • lindainlewisville
    Comments (26) | Send Message

lkaymay14@yahoo.com thanks
    16 Feb, 04:34 PM Reply Like
  • jesse55jp
    Comments (21) | Send Message

When is the IPO???
    28 Mar, 09:44 AM Reply Like
  • staceymarie02
    Comments (7) | Send Message

When can we buy stock? When is the IPO? They filed their IPO docs confidentially in February, so the IPO should be soon!
    24 Apr, 11:50 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: