- Looking golden at the moment is Compass Point's Kevin Barker, who stepped into yesterday's major decline in the specialty servicers with an upgrade to Ocwen Financial (OCN +3.9%). The decline was sparked by a story - later confirmed by Ocwen - that Ben Lawsky's NY Dept. of Financial Services had blocked Ocwen's purchase of MSR's from Wells Fargo.
- If Lawsky's concern is Ocwen's ability to properly service a massive influx of new loans, this isn't an issue, says Barker as the company can take steps to ensure compliance. If Lawsky is upset about Ocwen's current servicing practices, that's a more complicated issue, but Barker doesn't believe this to be so.
- He's got a price target of $60 assuming the Wells deal gets done and Ocwen continues buying MSRs, and utilizes free cash flow for stock repurchases or an accretive acquisition.
- Down 14% at one point yesterday, Ocwen is back to near where it was before the news hit. Also bouncing back are Nationstar (NSM +8.3%) and Walter Investment (WAC +3.1%).
- Others of interest: PennyMac Mortgage (PMT +0.7%), New Residential (NRZ +1.2%).
Ocwen Financial Corp. (OCN): New Analyst Report from Zacks Equity Research - Zacks Equity Research Report
at Zacks.com (Nov 18, 2014)