Verizon offers "loyalty" plans to subs, might offer new line promotion

• It looks as if Verizon (VZ) is joining the U.S. mobile industry's budding price war: The carrier has begun offering relatively cheap "loyalty" plans to subscribers in order to keep them from defecting.
  • Though Verizon hasn't spelled out the details, FierceWireless states evidence suggests the plans provide unlimited voice/text and 2GB of data for $60/month.
  • Meanwhile, Android Central reports Verizon is set to offer $100 in credit for any new smartphone/mobile broadband line activated from Feb. 7-28. AT&T began a similar promotion in late January; its offer lasts until March 31.
  • Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint all sold off hard on Monday after AT&T launched aggressively-priced family plans. All three carriers are contending with a resurgent T-Mobile. which recently began offering up to $650 in credit to defecting subs.
  • Until now, there hadn't been any signs Verizon, which gained more share in Q4, is thinking of meaningfully changing its premium pricing in response to moves from rivals.
Comments (6)
  • brucei
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Nothing new about the loyalty plans from Verizon. I have been on a loyalty plan of one kind or another for 4 years. I got the $60 smart phone loyalty plan when I upgraded 4 months ago. Verizon are not "entering" the price war... they have already been in one.
    7 Feb, 05:31 PM Reply Like
  • redarrow5150
    , contributor
    Comments (964) | Send Message

Verizon is still not competitive. I get Virgin mobile for what Verizon offers for $37 a month. Not only that but I was not provided a deal with Verizon even though I have a wireless card from them.
    7 Feb, 09:31 PM Reply Like
  • Mike Andrewes
    , contributor
    Comments (75) | Send Message

I got this $60 loyalty plan and a reduced upgrade cost on the S4 last May, the day it came out. They were basically referring to this plan like it was the Lockness Monster until they finally tracked down someone in the Retention Department that was able to authorize it.
    10 Feb, 09:08 AM Reply Like
  • PeteCal
    , contributor
    Comments (90) | Send Message

We have been withVZW for 12 years. We will switch in the next month or so. Smart talk $45 unlimited everything and they use Att or VZw

I spent 4 hours on the phone Friday trying to get VZW to match St.

You wouldn't know they were trying to sell me something. It was like they were doing me a favor.
    10 Feb, 09:09 AM Reply Like
  • redarrow5150
    , contributor
    Comments (964) | Send Message

Exactly. VZ has a very good network and never had any issues with customer service but the fact is the data plans aren't competitive...by a long shot. My family switched to Virgin and we are paying half of the same exact Verizon plan.
    10 Feb, 11:30 AM Reply Like
  • Jkj193741
    , contributor
    Comments (16) | Send Message

I have been robbed by VC for years. Leaving them shortly. When you ask them for a price break they look at you as if you are nuts; at least in my case. My problem will be trying to get a brand at a better rate for my locked iPhone and iPad. Any thoughts?
    11 Feb, 08:56 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: