- Though Rackspace's (RAX) Q4 revenue growth (15.6% Y/Y) was nearly on par with a Q3 level of of 15.7%, its gross margin fell 190 bps Y/Y to 67.2%, adjusted EBITDA margin dropped 440 bps to 32.4%, and op. margin fell 740 bps to 6.7%.
- Tough price competition from the likes of Amazon, Google, and Microsoft is has been pressuring margins, and so has Rackspace's aggressive spending: Sales/marketing spend +28% to $55.5M, R&D +47% to $16.9M, capex +32% to $115.8M (over 28% of revenue). Adjusted free cash flow was $15.3M, below net income of $20.8M.
- Public cloud revenue (inc. OpenStack) +34% Y/Y vs. +37% in Q3, and now 29% of total revenue. Dedicated cloud (Web hosting) revenue +10% vs. +9% in Q3.
- Rackspace's net upgrade rate was 1.1%, down from 1.5% in Q3 and 1.2% a year ago. Churn was -0.7% vs. -0.8% in Q3 and -0.7% a year ago.
- Servers deployed rose 2% Q/Q and 15% Y/Y to 103.9K, and average revenue/server rose 2% Q/Q and 1% Y/Y to $1,322.
- RAX -10.8% AH. Q4 results, CEO retirement, earnings PR.
Check out Seeking Alpha’s new Earnings Center »
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (Feb 18, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Dec 12, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Dec 8, 2014)
Video at CNBC.com (Dec 8, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Nov 24, 2014)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs