Yahoo buys diary app developer Wander; price reportedly $10M+

• Yahoo's (YHOO +1.7%) latest acquisition is Wander, maker of a diary app (known as Days) that revolves around creating/sharing a series of photos/GIFs. TechCrunch reports the price appears to be "north of $10 million."
  • Unlike many other Yahoo acquisition targets, Wander won't be shuttering its product. However, its time will now also work on other projects as a part of Yahoo's Mobile and Emerging Products group.
  • A list of past Yahoo acquisitions
Comments (10)
  • name999
    , contributor
    Comments (165) | Send Message

If Yahoo cannot monetize those apps, it means nothing no matter how many they buy. Marissa is either so desperate and want to turn around Yahoo and buy whatever she thinks could generate revenue, or she is just a simple shopaholic and buy whatever looks fancy to her.
    11 Feb, 02:00 PM Reply Like
  • adibhosarekar
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

42 atleast...EOW
    11 Feb, 02:31 PM Reply Like
  • Pete P.
    , contributor
    Comments (657) | Send Message

Marissa has a plan. Yahoo has a plan. They are recognizing trends in mobile usage and becoming a dominant mobile player. Things are looking good. IMHO
    11 Feb, 02:50 PM Reply Like
  • Andreas Hopf
    , contributor
    Comments (8896) | Send Message

Things are indeed looking good.
    11 Feb, 05:30 PM Reply Like
  • Gregory Block
    , contributor
    Comments (136) | Send Message

At first read I thought it was a dairy app.

I wonder how efficacious it could be for Yahoo to buy a company for pocket change. It probably costs north of $10 million to give the new employees their on set of bathroom keys.

I am hoping to see the cohesion in MM's plan with all these acquisitions. I assume she wants to give the user more of a reason to visit a Yahoo property, as well as to stay longer. Perhaps she's trying to build out an ecosystem without the benefit of having a handset to sell, or an app store. So far I've seen a handful of attractive sites and apps (like Yahoo Weather and Yahoo Finance) but I only make point visits to these apps - I don't linger. The more interstitial services that Yahoo provides means I will stay longer in the Yahoo apps (and be subject to more ads, of course). My fingers are crossed that this is the kind of ecosystem that MM is envisaging.
    11 Feb, 07:36 PM Reply Like
  • Andreas Hopf
    , contributor
    Comments (8896) | Send Message

It is a dairy app of sorts - to milk users. With recent purchases, Marissa Meyer does the only sensible thing: up the mobile user engagement time and engagement depth. Chained to Microsoft for the foreseeable time and not being able to compete with Google on "services", this is Yahoo!'s only practical way forward.
    12 Feb, 01:15 AM Reply Like
  • Gregory Block
    , contributor
    Comments (136) | Send Message

Andreas, I do see an opportunity for Yahoo to be platform-agnostic. I would like to have a common app experience across my Windows desktop, iPhone and tablet. If Yahoo developed apps that worked across these platforms, it would dramatically increase my engagement time & depth. Oddly enough, the only "app" I've seen that is this pervasive is Pandora, which works quite well on my tablet, phone, PC and Roku (hence my TV). I suppose it would work seamlessly in my car as well, if I weren't too cheap to buy a newer model.

I also see opportunities for Yahoo that are "beyond search". 95% of my Google searches are for programming & database tips; I never do a Google search as a prelude to purchasing something.

The agent who *should* best know my buying habits is Siri, but she retains zero context about my behavior. She also doesn't run on my Windows desktop, or my Roku.

I like the approach to agency Nuance is taking with Wintermute. From what I've read, Nuance is striving to be platform-agnostic with Wintermute (so I don't get a fractured experience based on the device I'm interacting with).

I know that Yahoo recently purchased a voice recognition company. I'd like to see them build up their own platform-agnostic stack to compete with Winternute. Perhaps a combination of Yahoo's reach and market penetration, along with Nuance's voice recognition technology would do the trick.

BTW, I also wish iRobot would invent a robot that makes one's bed, so my wish list is pretty ambitious...
    12 Feb, 10:18 AM Reply Like
  • Andreas Hopf
    , contributor
    Comments (8896) | Send Message

Indeed, platform agnosticism is the way to go.
    12 Feb, 10:35 AM Reply Like
  • pdcruz
    , contributor
    Comments (4) | Send Message

How come we can't find the yhoo finance app in the aapl store or an Aviate version for IOS?WE are interested!
    13 Feb, 03:48 AM Reply Like
  • Pete P.
    , contributor
    Comments (657) | Send Message

Yahoo finance app is in the App Store on IOS and it's pretty good. Aviate is only available for android right now.
    13 Feb, 10:18 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub