Organovo rallies; article provides upbeat take on 3D tissue printing

• A Telegraph column offers an optimistic view regarding the future of 3D human-tissue printing, even going as far as to wonder if it will "soon be possible to 3D print a human body."
  • The author notes Organovo's (ONVO +5.3%) partnership with U.K. startup PrinterInks to create a visual guide on the subject of 3D tissue printing, and that the company recently "bioprinted its first 3D liver tissue for testing purposes."
  • Organovo shares spiked higher in response to the column, but have given back a portion of their gains.
From other sites
Comments (9)
  • Market Cuts Both Ways
    , contributor
    Comments (63) | Send Message

Here is the infographic that Printerlnks produced with help from Organovo.
    11 Feb 2014, 03:25 PM Reply Like
  • Dmitry Kovalchuk
    , contributor
    Comments (406) | Send Message

Neither that article no this visual guide answer a key question for me: is the stuff they are printing real organs or only something that looks like ones?That announced printed kidney by chinese for example, did it really exist? if yes, why it lasted for only four months? There is simpy not enough verified information from trustworthy sources. Will it really be possible to make that step to print "real organs"? The stock price of organovo is skyrocketing as if they are already there, thats what I don't understand. Those are the reasons for me to keep a negative outlook on that stock.
    Whats happening now is an investment in a dream. As a human I hope that the dreamers will be right and I will be wrong, but as an investor I don't see that happening in the next few years and expect a sharp drop in the stock price, by december at the latest when the 3d printed liver turns out to be something completely different than what is expected by the dreamers.
    11 Feb 2014, 06:11 PM Reply Like
  • hhess13892
    , contributor
    Comments (415) | Send Message

"Whats happening now is an investment in a dream"

Bill Gates had a dream.
    11 Feb 2014, 07:14 PM Reply Like
  • Dmitry Kovalchuk
    , contributor
    Comments (406) | Send Message

Not all dreams come true.
    12 Feb 2014, 03:07 AM Reply Like
  • ECapo
    , contributor
    Comments (671) | Send Message

mikdns I see you are still following ONVO which means there is some interest one way or the other for you. I still hold my positions with ONVO as noted to you before. You must admit it is nice to have some type of SA article that seems not to be biased.
    Personally I believe in this Bio company using 3D technology in medical research advancements. ONVO has increased its research with several partnerships that may help the company achieve its goals. Also ONVO has more than liver assays it is working on including breast cancer I believe.
    I appreciated your input on regular 3D companies and believe there is a lot of merit to your comments. However, I did not read anything about any other Bio tech companies using 3D tech. If ONVO is not the company to speculate and invest in now..is there any to which you have faith in? If not...why not have a little faith in this company as a speculative bio company portion of an Investors portfolio?
    12 Feb 2014, 06:53 PM Reply Like
  • Dmitry Kovalchuk
    , contributor
    Comments (406) | Send Message

ECapo, I simply do not have the knowledge to assess what Organova is doing. This is a mystery to me. Reading many articles by journalists and bloggers makes me really skeptical because all I see is a repetition of certain phrases which shows to me that they also don't really know what they are talking about.
    14 Feb 2014, 03:44 AM Reply Like
  • ECapo
    , contributor
    Comments (671) | Send Message

mikdns
    Thanks for your reply..unfortunately I only have a limited knowledge of ONVO. However what is available that I do have interest me and also is worth a speculative play in my stock portfolio. ONVO unfortunately even thou it is a biotech company is following the up and down swings of the 3D stocks and the market in general. They incorporated in 2007 and have continually moved forward with attracting talent to work with and for them. ONVOs 3D tissue technology will most definitely benefit medical research. 3D medical technology is just in its infancy and future applications will definitely benefit human mankind as it is starting to already.
    I am sure you may have seen these articles but I submit so new comers and others may use to evaluate their take on ONVO and a company like ONVO which uses 3 D technology to advance the medical science field. ONVO has made some major breakthroughs with human liver tissue assays that will assist medical health care. ONVO is also forming more partnerships in cancer research.
    Will ONVO be a leader in human organ applications..who knows..will there be challenging issues if they do...most probably...but they may be overcome...in any case until then I am a believer in this company until future information makes me rethink my positive out look on this company.
    In closing I am still an investor and believer in ONVO. I am interested in any additional information that is educational with this company and not slanted or fact omitting. I disregard as you say are the repetitive phrases by people who do not know what they are talking about. There may come a time to disengage from this investment but now is not the time in my opinion. Please comment on any other companies that are similar if you know of any or hear of any.
    14 Feb 2014, 05:24 PM Reply Like
  • PAW510
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message

The only reason why people talk bad about this stock is to drive the price back down after they have sold off their shares, (so they can buy even more shares). Bioprinting at the very least is helping with testing of medicines to see if they are toxic to human and animal tissues, so even if they never produce a working organ worthy of replacing a failed organ the technology is still useful and profitable. If they some day are able to produce an organ worthy of transplant then this will be a trillion dollar business. (That's why I'm holding a piece of it...)
    11 Feb 2014, 09:26 PM Reply Like
  • widespread panic
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

I think I recall ONVO was recently only ~7% inst. owned before sell off. Now at 13%. Hmmm...
    12 Feb 2014, 02:00 AM Reply Like