Krispy Kreme Doughnut and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters sign deal

• Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD) and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) plan to partner together to bring Krispy Kreme's coffee brands to the Keurig system.
  • The products will be available at grocery and retail outlets by the end of this year.
Comments (10)
  • benitus
    , contributor
    Comments (1898) | Send Message

Krispy Kreme produce good doughnuts but they can make ends meet, so my guess is that the management is not up to par. That's why I think this deal isn't going to help GMCR at all. Yet another reason to short GMCR.
    12 Feb, 07:29 AM Reply Like
  • Michael Bryant
    , contributor
    Comments (5363) | Send Message

With the (KO) deal, no way short (GMCR).
    12 Feb, 12:04 PM Reply Like
  • vlabash
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

How does expanding its product line hurt GMCR? The shorts haven't been doing too well lately.
    12 Feb, 08:20 AM Reply Like
  • benitus
    , contributor
    Comments (1898) | Send Message

vlabash.... you may wish to know that most of the shorts have cut their losses when it went past $90 premarket and covered their positions. Some like me came back to short it when it crossed $120, which we covered below $100, so contrary to your opinion, we're doing exceptionally well. That's why we love GMCR. Those who hold short positions on any stock are idiots if they don't monitor the market and take decisive actions when things go south. I just shorted it again this morning premarket and I'm seeing green so far. Live long and prosper. God bless.
    12 Feb, 10:31 AM Reply Like
  • Michael Bryant
    , contributor
    Comments (5363) | Send Message

So you're basically a trader, but instead of buying low and sell high, you short high and cover low. That accumulates a lot of transaction costs as well as income taxes.
    12 Feb, 12:47 PM Reply Like
  • benitus
    , contributor
    Comments (1898) | Send Message

No, Michael, I'm a day-trader and I do both. I short it when it's high (for the day), then I reverse my positions for one round-trip and go long. When it gets high enough, depending on momentum, I will reverse my positions yet again to short it. Usually, I get to do at least one round-trip with one stock every day but sometimes, I get lucky and make up to four round-trips. That's how I make my living.
    I'm just a simple day-trader, trying to make a daily living off the market. I don't get greedy and I don't regret losses, which is just another day at the office. It's just like betting at the races. I place all my bets before the premarket action begins and wait to see if I make the bet, which will if I'm not too greedy. Then, I wait for it to rebound or turn around. By lunch-time, I'm usually done, unless I got nothing else better to do. What else can be simpler?

Transaction costs are nothing (0.5cts per share), when compared to what I make. Taxes must be paid like everyone else (even though I'm upset with the freeloaders and handouts), as otherwise, who's going to pay for our security services and public maintenance, etc. BTW, I'm a fan. Keep up the good work, keeping us ignoramuses informed of the changing market. You guys do all the hard work. Thanks and God bless.
    12 Feb, 01:27 PM Reply Like
  • Water Brothers Financial Co...
    , contributor
    Comments (339) | Send Message

Signing deals hither and yon is a red flag as to a company's core business - sometimes buying a bunch of companies ala yahoo is the same. Coffee like coke is a very profitable business for a retailer, huge markups from the commodity base; if you can sell the heck out of coffee or coke or cornflakes you just replicate etc. When deals are the reason to change valuations drastically before knowing the end numbers and that the deal worked stocks are being overbought, overvalued and risky. GMCR has many doubters as to its financials - Einhorn for starters, me for seconds -, it has a volatile stock history, its venture into sodastream world, where units are losing shelf space at bbby and others, means either a great leverage of its knowledge of homebrewing delivery systems or a somewhat desperate lunge at growth. Remember, coke purchased its ten percent at 75 ish , a below market number even before the overreaction ; it could lock in a huge gain by hedging with puts or shorts already. Very few strategic partnerships or deals or acquisitions are successful, some derail companies for a deacade - see aol/twc. Tell me of any that really worked. And now THS has filed suit against GMCR. I think this is a sketchy company with some taint and poor coffee to boot.
    12 Feb, 08:41 AM Reply Like
  • rvn0
    , contributor
    Comments (137) | Send Message

Losing shelf space? Not at our BBBY. Both GMCR and SODA are prominently displayed in middle aisles including demo. videos for SODA.
    PS I also like their K-cup coffee.
    12 Feb, 02:43 PM Reply Like
  • GDW1
    , contributor
    Comments (50) | Send Message

Jeez. Signing up companies is their core business. Selling anyone's coffee that the market wants to buy. How hard is it to bring on another licensee. Put their coffee in the hopper and their label on top of the pod and a new box to hold the pods, like GMCR already does for scores of other coffees. If it doesn'ts sell, who's hurt? "Sketchy company with some taint" is pretty loose, and as for poor coffee, certainly that's one person's opinion that can neither be right or wrong. Beats me if this deal with KO will work, but some of these arguments are getting old.
    12 Feb, 09:23 AM Reply Like
  • Water Brothers Financial Co...
    , contributor
    Comments (339) | Send Message

They didn't sign someone up for coffee, they started a totally new business.Have you not followed the SEC looks into this company's insider stock transactions? They gave sbux pretty cheap insight into single cup business with that minimal deal; now they give ko cheap stock, a quick billion dollar gain and , as you say, no certainty this deal will produce anything profitable. You do deals to juice stock prices and pay insiders bonuses for doing them; you stick to replication if you are a successful, well-managed company.
    16 Feb, 08:26 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: