- NetApp (NTAP) expects FQ4 revenue of $1.62B-$1.72B and EPS of $0.77-$0.82. While the latter is in-line with an $0.80 consensus, the former is below a $1.73B consensus.
- Though FQ3 revenue missed estimates, NetApp was able to beat EPS forecasts with the help of $507M worth of buybacks. From the looks of things, buybacks will also provide a lift to FQ4 EPS.
- Product revenue (drives future maintenance/service revenue) -4% Y/Y to $10.015B. Software entitlements/maintenance revenue -1% to $227M, services +8% to $368M.
- OEM revenue, hurt by partner IBM's weak storage sales, fell 23% Y/Y to $157.3M. NetApp-branded revenue rose 2% to $1.45B.
- Gross margin rose 310 bps Y/Y to 63.5%. The triggers: A 400 bps improvement in product GM to 57.1%, and a mix shift towards software/services. Thanks to job cuts, sales/marketing spend fell 4% to $475.9M.
- Rival EMC reported healthier storage sales last month, albeit while issuing soft guidance.
- CC at 5:30PM ET. FQ3 results, PR.