- Barrick Gold (ABX) +1.5% premarket despite reporting an unadjusted $2.83B Q4 loss as it took $2.82B in after-tax impairment charges, including $896M for the troubled Pascua-Lama project.
- ABX anticipates 2014 gold production of 6M-6.5M oz. vs. 7.2M oz. in 2013, due to sales of non-core assets and the company's new focus on mining high-margin ounces in a low-price environment instead of just maximizing output; the production drop is within analyst expectations.
- ABX cuts reserves 26% Y/Y to 104.1M oz. as it reduced the gold price used to calculate them to $1,100/oz. from $1,500 last year.
- Through all the troubles, ABX's mines are operating well: Gold cost guidance is the lowest among senior producers, with all-in sustaining costs seen at $920-$980/oz. in 2014 after $899/oz. in Q4.
- Capital spending totaled ~$5B in 2013, but is expected to fall to $2.4B-$2.7B this year with the idling of Pascua-Lama.
Check out Seeking Alpha’s new Earnings Center »
From other sites
at Nasdaq.com (Feb 24, 2015)
at Benzinga.com (Feb 23, 2015)
at Benzinga.com (Feb 19, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Jan 13, 2015)
at Nasdaq.com (Jan 6, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs