- Stock futures indicate a sharply lower open after retail sales data showed that shoppers stayed away from stores last month due to cold weather, and initial weekly jobless claims rose more than expected.
- S&P -0.7%, Dow -0.6%, Nasdaq -0.7%.
- Futures began retreating overnight following losses in overseas markets, and European shares pulled back as rising political tensions in Italy gave reason for caution.
- Whole Foods Market -6.2% premarket after lowering its outlook, Cisco -3.8% after reporting a drop in revenue, PepsiCo -0.6% despite beating forecasts and raising its dividend and share buybacks, and Time Warmer Cable +7.7% after Comcast agreed to a buyout.
- The yield on the 10-year Treasury note edged higher to 2.737%.
- Still ahead: business inventories, EIA natural gas.