Sony: U.S. PS4 sales nearly 2x Xbox One sales in January

• Sony (SNE -0.8%) SVP Guy Longworth states the PS4's January U.S. sales were nearly twice that of its leading next-gen console rival, widely assumed to be the Xbox One (MSFT +0.1%).
  • The remarks come after NPD reported the PS4 outsold the Xbox One in the U.S. in January, and also had an edge in game sales. Of the seven games on NPD's January bestseller list offered for both next-gen consoles, the PS4 version posted stronger retail sales in five instances.
  • Sony announced last month PS4 sell-through totaled 4.2M as of Dec. 28. Microsoft, by comparison, reported seeing 3M+ 2013 Xbox One sales. The PS4's lower price tag ($399 vs. $499) and stronger gaming focus have helped its cause.
Comments (9)
  • Who is named Guy Longworth? That's fantastic!
    14 Feb, 11:49 AM Reply Like
  • The issue is not only sales but profits! That is far more important.
    14 Feb, 11:53 AM Reply Like
  • The consoles themselves tend to have a low profit margin. The games are the main profit center. I wouldn't advise looking at the consoles in a vacuum.
    14 Feb, 12:14 PM Reply Like
  • Who was that guy again claiming that Xbox One would win the mobile war? Ridiculous ...
    14 Feb, 12:43 PM Reply Like
  • Because two months does a victory make??? I think you might want to wait a bit longer before declaring any type of winner....And besides with great competition, don't we all win?
    14 Feb, 12:49 PM Reply Like
  • Does it really matter if Xbox sales are 30% of PS4. The bottom line is how much money can Microsoft make or how much does Xbox provide non-tangible benefits to Microsoft. I think Xbox is a big part of Microsoft's overall strategy.

Sony just gave up on computers. Computers that I think are very well designed. I just paid $1200 for one of their tablet/PC. And I really think it was good. My competitive consideration was Surface Pro for the same amount. And I think I see PS4 going the same way in a few years. Sony had its great days in music and video. It is being killed in those areas today. People paid a premium for their TVs and VCRs and tape recorders. Today Samsung and others are eating Sony's cake.

If Sony does not do something soon, Samsung, MSFT and others are going to kill it by limiting the prices of Sony's products and therefore their profits. This is no different a scenario from what AMD and Intel went through with a price war. The good thing is that consumers benefit.
    14 Feb, 01:14 PM Reply Like
  • Pretty sure that the gaming segment for both companies only represents about 10-15% of their total revenues, so while the 'console wars' are a nice measuring stick for that particular segment, as an investor I am much more concerned with the totality of the enterprise and seems that MSFT as a whole is a stronger bet.
    14 Feb, 03:36 PM Reply Like
  • AMD wins
    14 Feb, 03:36 PM Reply Like
  • Both consoles don't have a must have game yet. We'll see how Titanfall does with all the hype it's been receiving. If it meets that hype, it could narrow the margin of victory in which the PS4 is currently enjoying. If the game falls flat, I expect the disparity to widen or remain indefinitely into the latter half of 2014. Exclusive are what drive console sales. All this talk about some pixels and resolution falls flat when you have PCs that squash what the mighty PS4 and XO can do.

What I don't get is how people are calling the XO a failure because it's not selling as well as the PS4. It's more expensive, less powerful, yet offers a more complete experience for those who have interests outside of just gaming. The other bit of info people like to ignore is how much better the XO has sold compared to the successful 360 in the same timeframe. SNE has raised the bar without a doubt, but the XO is far from struggling as many critics would have you believe.
    20 Feb, 07:07 PM Reply Like