- Execs with DirecTV (DTV +2.6%) were asked about the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger with the very first question during its earnings conference call.
- The company line is that the unprecedented media concentration in one entity should be "appropriately scrutinized" by regulators - particularly in what amounts to a near broadband monopoly.
- DirecTV will look at all consolidation options and will "think hard" on the new competitive landscape.
- If DirecTV offers an over-the-top service it would be a "niche" product - instead of replicating the current packages customers see. There's a hint it might resemble HBO Go.
- The NFL Sunday Ticket package is still being negotiated. Digital rights are part of the talks with the NFL.
- Earnings call webcast