Westport slides after earnings miss; guidance

• 2014 guidance calls for revenue of $175M-$185M, up 7-13% from 2013, with company noting it starts the year without $25M in revenue contributions from the first gen Westport HDPI system. Operations are expected to post positive EBITDA by the end of this year and the entire corporation is expected to have positive EBITDA by the end of 2015.
  • Q4 Westport revenue of $52.6M up 32% from a year ago. Joint venture segment revenue of $110.5M for Cummins Westport up 158%; $93,6M for Weichai Westport falls 13%.
  • Adjusted EBITDA loss from operations of $8.4M vs. $15.5M a year ago. Consolidated adjusted EBITDA loss of $23.2M vs. $30.8M last year.
  • CC at 5 ET
  • Press release, Q4 results
  • WPRT -5.4% AH
Comments (13)
  • lutherwmitchell
    Comments (33) | Send Message

I hope management will focus on becoming profitable.
    We investors can only hang on to a dream with out results for so long
    26 Feb, 05:12 PM Reply Like
  • alnut
    Comments (69) | Send Message

Correctamundo, Luther...
    But Mr Market, or perhaps some very specific bashers, are spearheading this overt punishment of what appears to be an improving story!
    Did I miss something?
    26 Feb, 05:25 PM Reply Like
  • cparmerlee
    Comments (3683) | Send Message

Perhaps the missing part is the fact that, although volumes have grown splendidly the past two years, they are getting FARTHER and FARTHER away from breakeven, and having to spend a lot of money fixing bad gear.
    27 Feb, 10:36 AM Reply Like
  • nomercadies
    Comments (6) | Send Message

Wonder what people can point out to me about what I just heard that was negative. I really liked what I heard ... except the folks that ran the project couldn't manage to moderate the volumes of the callers in relation to the presenters.

I must just be too unsophisticated to understand all this investment talk. I'm sure someone will come on and tell me everything I heard was terrible news.
    26 Feb, 06:23 PM Reply Like
  • Hendershott
    Comments (1587) | Send Message

Guidance for 2014 revenue $180M or so, consensus is/was $221.9M
    26 Feb, 09:50 PM Reply Like
  • miguelone
    Comments (4) | Send Message

Never fall in love with a stock. It won't love you back.
    27 Feb, 06:49 AM Reply Like
  • lutherwmitchell
    Comments (33) | Send Message

I am past the love and feel like divorce settlement
    27 Feb, 08:42 AM Reply Like
  • PeteCal
    Comments (90) | Send Message

I did the divorce a few months ago.
    Looks like I was right for a change.
    But I have to admit the decision was based on what the stock price was doing not what I thought or think of the company
    27 Feb, 09:30 AM Reply Like
  • Krakin
    Comments (82) | Send Message

We can all blame the government for the slow progress made on nat gas transportation.in the U.S. There just isn't enough money in the private sector to put this in the fast lane.Frankly I think Westport and it's competitors have done a great job considering the resources they have to work with.Congress should show a little love to this new industry.
    27 Feb, 11:24 AM Reply Like
  • tealone
    Comments (272) | Send Message

I still feel positive about the concept, just have to figure out "who" will eventually make it happen, WPRT, CMI, others??
    27 Feb, 01:40 PM Reply Like
  • lutherwmitchell
    Comments (33) | Send Message

notice that WPRT management tried to cover ( invest in) other industries that linked to its products. Had they focused on only making engines the profits would have been better in the short term. Long term????
    28 Feb, 09:24 AM Reply Like
  • Hendershott
    Comments (1587) | Send Message

WPRT has the same problem as GTLS. The business in China has slowed dramatically.
    28 Feb, 01:18 PM Reply Like
  • LZ
    Comments (92) | Send Message

Because of it's chronic profitability disappointments for years, WPRT presents a unique opportunity for new longs. Current long's expectations have been lowered time and time again, with many now doubting if WPRT will ever be profitable.

New longs who don't come from this same emotional position may be able to capitalize...
    3 Mar, 09:38 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub