Good night for Fox and Warner at the Oscars

• Fox Searchlight's (FOXA) "12 Years a Slave" has won the Oscar for the Best Picture and picked up two other Academy awards.
  • Warner Bros' (TWX) "Gravity" received the most gongs with seven Oscars, including Best Director for director Alfonso Cuaron.
  • Disney's (DIS) "Frozen," which has taken over $1B at the box office, took Oscars for best animated feature film and original song.
  • However, Paramount Pictures' (VIAB) "The Wolf of Wall Street" failed to win any awards despite five nominations, while "American Hustle" came away empty handed despite 10 nominations.
  • Host Ellen DeGeneres caused Twitter (TWTR) to crash briefly after posting a star-studded selfie that was retweeted over 2M times, setting a new record.
Comments (6)
  • DeepValueLover
    , contributor
    Comments (8609) | Send Message

DeGeneres is really good at what she does.

Leo is popular but award show poison.

The right people won the right awards.

The show was too long and very boring (probably...I was watching the Classic TV channel!)
    3 Mar, 05:14 AM Reply Like
  • benitus
    , contributor
    Comments (1940) | Send Message

I made the mistake of wasting almost seven hours (from 4:30pm) with the Oscars. Never spent more than 2hrs watching TV at one sitting. Never before and never again. Most stupid thing to do. Got stuck watching with family. Extremely boring, to say the least, but producers did well to keep the top awards to the very end & got everyone trapped. Should've DVR the whole thing like I always do and get the replay over in less than an hour. Stupid me. Oh, well....
    3 Mar, 06:31 AM Reply Like
  • diaboliqueguan
    , contributor
    Comments (438) | Send Message

agree! lacked fun factor.. DeGeneres should keep tickling the audience.
    3 Mar, 09:40 AM Reply Like
  • UnStopaBull!
    , contributor
    Comments (176) | Send Message

Benitus they AlWAYS have that format lol and you must not like sports then do you. DVR is a good idea and it saved me watching things I had no interest in. Really glad Gravity didn't win best pic! really wasn't that great. 12 years was very deserving IMO. I own DIS so the Frozen win might keep it up on what is looking to be a down day.
    3 Mar, 06:58 AM Reply Like
  • nautor42
    , contributor
    Comments (190) | Send Message

Frozen's the movie that keeps on giving. Hopefully, it gets an Oscar Bounce here, but it will make more as it hasn't opened in Japan. DVD sales should be thru the roof.
    3 Mar, 08:34 AM Reply Like
  • benitus
    , contributor
    Comments (1940) | Send Message

Yes, I'm too old and daft. To make matters worse, the Oscars programs were already being recorded on the DVR. In fact, I fell asleep at 12midnight (way past my bed-time at 10pm) and I made a couple of dumb trades. Instead of selling and reversing my positions to short my stocks, as I saw the overseas markets plunge, I bought more shares like an idiot without enough sleep, so now, I've got a big hole in my portfolio and waiting for my stocks to recover. Damn the Oscars.
    3 Mar, 09:41 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub