RadioShack reports dismal Q4 and massive store cuts, shares -23%

RadioShack (RSH) is getting shellacked in early trading after missing the Q4 profit estimate of analysts by a country mile.

Comparable-store sales tumbled 19% during the period.

Par for the retail course, promotions and weak store traffic took a heavy toll on profitability for the company.

Looking ahead, RadioShack (RSH) plans to close up to 1.1K under-performing stores in the U.S.

Shares of RSH -22.8% premarket

Comments (344) | Send Message

Circuit City v2.0
    4 Mar 2014, 01:08 PM Reply Like
  • Randal James
    , contributor
    Comments (4420) | Send Message

I moved to the Seattle are just a bit over 2 years ago and the store near me was run by a really nice guy who was very aware of their product lines. I was fully aware of their problems even then but kept trying to be a good supportive customer. My barber is in the same area so I stop in every few months and he is not there - replaced by millennials who could barely care if a customer is in the store or not. The inventory is visually smaller and they have perhaps 2/3rds of the phones on display that the display suggests they should have - empty lucite pedestals sticking up with signs underneath but no product.

I'm hoping this is atypical, but thinking of my buying experiences doubt that RSH has anything unique enough to survive.
    4 Mar 2014, 02:17 PM Reply Like
  • mobyss
    , contributor
    Comments (2609) | Send Message

Radio Shack has the feel that Montgomery Wards did - just so out of date and sad. You can't get by selling cell phone plans, TV antennas, and remote-control helicopters, and all other "real" electronic components that hobbyists used to buy there are available on Amazon.

Gone by 2015.
    4 Mar 2014, 02:19 PM Reply Like
  • Justin Jaynes
    , contributor
    Comments (3154) | Send Message

4 Mar 2014, 02:29 PM Reply Like
  • deercreekvols
    , contributor
    Comments (9614) | Send Message

This is surprising news.

It is not like there was information on Radio Shack being in trouble. Wow! Getting crushed out of the blue. Doesn't make sense.

I figured that radio controled toy car sales were strong.

(sarcasm intended)
    4 Mar 2014, 02:31 PM Reply Like
  • Bouchart
    , contributor
    Comments (1134) | Send Message

Well at least I can swing by one of their stores and pick up a Tandy computer.
    4 Mar 2014, 03:48 PM Reply Like
  • deercreekvols
    , contributor
    Comments (9614) | Send Message

Tandy's would be on sale at this point, I would imagine. (Tandies?- never thought of the plural)
    (I am still laughing at your comment Bouchart)
    4 Mar 2014, 07:25 PM Reply Like