Fresh highs for FireEye; FBR "encouraged" by checks

Already one of 2014's top tech performers, FireEye (FEYE +8.4%) is taking off again after FBR's Daniel Ives (Outperform) hiked his PT to $105 from $90.

Ives' Q1 checks leave him "encouraged" FireEye and newly-acquired Mandiant are "making headway in taking significant share as an end-to-end, next-generation security software vendor."

He thinks the company's 2014 outlook looks conservative in light of the "explosive demand" picked up by FBR's checks.

Shares are up 377% from a September IPO price of $20.

Previous: FireEye jumps after launching managed security service

From other sites
Comments (13)
  • rkw29
    Comments (647) | Send Message

80 times trailing revenue, increasing losses, no profits on the horizon? No thanks.
    5 Mar 2014, 02:31 PM Reply Like
  • wil3714
    Comments (2273) | Send Message

People have been saying that for a decade with AMZN
    6 Mar 2014, 05:34 PM Reply Like
  • Ta0
    Comments (493) | Send Message

I think they said the same thing with Tesla.
    6 Mar 2014, 09:31 PM Reply Like
  • Ta0
    Comments (493) | Send Message

Folks have been saying that from the time I bought it at its lowest point.

By the time it hit the 40s, everyone was telling me to sell.
    By the time it got into the 60s, the bear growls were starting to get loud.
    By the time it hit the 70s, people were screaming at me to get out.

Now that it's in the 90s, I hear nothing. It's all silent.
    5 Mar 2014, 02:52 PM Reply Like
  • rkw29
    Comments (647) | Send Message

Well good for you. Will you get out in time if it crashes back to 40 again?
    5 Mar 2014, 03:29 PM Reply Like
  • Ta0
    Comments (493) | Send Message

rkw20,

Even if it does go back to 40, it's still a nice profit for me. But I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

We'll probably have this conversation again when it hits $100. :-)
    5 Mar 2014, 04:15 PM Reply Like
  • rkw29
    Comments (647) | Send Message

I'm not doubting it could hit 100, but this valuation with no profits will make the stock extremely volatile and risky. These type stocks are the first to crash with a general market sell off, which is long overdue.
    5 Mar 2014, 04:23 PM Reply Like
  • Ta0
    Comments (493) | Send Message

You're probably right. That's usually the case. I'll get around to selling off some of my FEYE and lock in some gains. No reason to get too greedy (I've been a real pig with this stock). I've been wanting to do some shopping any way---got my eyes on another hot start up, and when it breaks out from starting gate, I'll scramble some mad FEYE gains into it. Wish me luck. :-)
    5 Mar 2014, 06:21 PM Reply Like
  • TopHill4
    Comments (40) | Send Message

FEYE has amazing software which will be extremely hard to duplicate or replace.
    5 Mar 2014, 09:19 PM Reply Like
  • Ta0
    Comments (493) | Send Message

TopHill4,

It has a unique software niche, that's for sure. When I am scrutinizing a good tech stock, that's what I look for, a solid technology.

I can't control market conditions, lawsuits, or world events, so there's no use worrying about those conditions when they occur, as they are wont to do on occasion. I can, however, ascertain to some level about the quality of the technology that they have by doing some research, and the control that I do have is whether to pull the trigger and be a part of a good business, or to pass on the investment because their technology is redundant, quickly turning obsolete, and/or irrelevant.

Of course, this is just personal opinion and intuition, but quite often, that's what it boils down to---a gut feel about something that I either follow or don't follow. I passed up on the opportunity to own Visa at $99 years ago, even though my senses were screaming at me to purchase some. Still kicking myself to this very day.
    6 Mar 2014, 12:14 AM Reply Like
  • TopHill4
    Comments (40) | Send Message

Ta0
    Well said.
    Sometimes intuition on top of the feeling that the technology is unique is worth a shot at hopefully big gains.
    Value assessment will never catch these early enough.
    The risk is real, though, so one must use only a small part of investible capital and watch carefully.
    Guess this is just common sense.
    6 Mar 2014, 12:55 PM Reply Like
  • Ta0
    Comments (493) | Send Message

TopHill, it's always good to have common sense. In the case of FEYE, common sense told me to get out at $40, but I stuck it out. I know it has since gone down from its highest highs, but I bought it so low that even in the 80s, it's a great price. I will liquidate some of my holdings though. Can't hold on to growth stocks forever because they really aren't 'forever stocks'...are they?
    6 Mar 2014, 09:34 PM Reply Like
  • TopHill4
    Comments (40) | Send Message

Only had 100.
    Sold 50.
    Want to get back in the full 100.
    Will watch carefully next week.
    Very volatile and wide spread on bid and ask.
    Feel good about long term.
    9 Mar 2014, 12:00 PM Reply Like