Futures flat, ignoring selloff in Asia

Comments (7)
  • quabbin
    , contributor
    Comments (119) | Send Message

Low Chinese exports is a good thing isn't it?
    Doesn't that mean US consumers are buying more products made in the US?
    10 Mar, 07:29 AM Reply Like
  • Jsuse
    , contributor
    Comments (22) | Send Message

I would be more inclined to think they just aren't buying anything at the moment.
    10 Mar, 08:36 AM Reply Like
  • mitrado
    , contributor
    Comments (1948) | Send Message

That's consistent with my credit card summary for February:
    Credit Limit €2500.00
    Credit Spent: €0.00

I can't buy stuff if after paying my bills, nothing is left. Right?
    10 Mar, 08:50 AM Reply Like
  • MangDynasty
    , contributor
    Comments (29) | Send Message

Gold is leet right now! Keep it where it is, nobody trade it!
    10 Mar, 07:38 AM Reply Like
  • financeminister
    , contributor
    Comments (613) | Send Message

I think people are getting more price conscious... I'm starting to see more and more people looking for coupons, discounts, free trials etc on discretionary spending and if these don't exist, they're willing to forgo spending.
    10 Mar, 08:59 AM Reply Like
  • mitrado
    , contributor
    Comments (1948) | Send Message

"I think people are getting more price conscious"

Is that a soft way of saying "I think people are getting poorer" ?
    10 Mar, 11:23 AM Reply Like
  • financeminister
    , contributor
    Comments (613) | Send Message

That is for sure but I also think the otherwise upper middle class have become more price conscious than before. IMHO, a price conscious life style seems to be devloping among households that can afford to spend.

Some anecdotal observations: I know baby boomers who retired this year living on pension and SS cracking down on spending... they weren't that price-aware when they were employed. So imagine how much more for those who have either lost jobs or work part time or have moved to lower paying jobs. Some other folks who I know can afford to live a spending life style are cutting down on discretionary spending like theatres and instead renting movies for a buck on redbox. I also notice companies are slashing prices to boost top line growth and this might be a response to lack of consumer demand - MCD on their mighty wings, olive garden promoting $10 meals, cable and mobile phone companies introducing new lower monthly rates (and when I called ATT to cancel my home internet, they slashed the price by 30%), walmart advertising discounts on TV, retail advertising 20% discounts etc.
    10 Mar, 12:04 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: