- Asian shares are mixed, European equities are mostly moderately lower and U.S. stock futures are higher as markets stay cautious ahead of the FOMC announcing its latest policy decision today.
- With the Fed expected to taper some more and abandon its 6.5% unemployment rate threshold for considering rate hikes, punters are focusing on the triggers that would push the Fed to finally raise rates from rock-bottom levels.
- Anatole Kaletsky writes on Reuters that as Janet Yellen chairs her first meeting as Fed Chair, she has a "once-in-a-generation opportunity" to "transform an entire generation's way of thinking about economics, market forces and the role of government in achieving and maintaining prosperity." So no pressure then.
- Japan +0.4% to 14463, Hong Kong -0.1%, China -0.2%, India -0.05%.
- Euro Stoxx 50 +0.2%, London -0.3%, Paris flat, Frankfurt +0.1%, Milan -0.15%, Madrid +0.1%.
- U.S. stock futures: Dow +0.1%. S&P +0.1%. Nasdaq +0.2%