Pay-TV eye the future as video subscribers decline

• The pay-TV industry in the U.S. posted its first-ever decline in video subscribers during 2013, according to data compiled by SNL Kagan.
  • The group (TWC, CVC, CHTR, DTV, DISH, VZ, T) lost 251K subscribers during the period.
  • Even a late charge in Q4 by Comcast CMCSA couldn't turn the tide.
  • What to watch: Online TV services which offer limited programming packages are expected to start cropping up this year to put additional pressure on pay-TV operators. Companies such as Dish Network plan to walk a tightrope of enticing cord-cutters and cord-nevers to sign on without cannibalizing current video subscriber counts.
Comments (8)
  • chillen22
    , contributor
    Comments (43) | Send Message

If i could cut my cord I would. If i could get local programming with sports I would be gone in a second. Also if you could get premium channels like HBO and others without having to get a whole cable package that would be so much better. I would rather pay for each channel separately then get a package with channels i never would watch even if i was completely bored out of my mind. most channels have the videos available a few days after originally airing which doesnt bother me i mean i watch most of DVR any way so i dont watch during the regularly aired time anyway.

but you can never get away fully since you still need internet from the cable companies. Since mobile internet from VZ or ATT isnt fast enough yet for video playback on a larger scale then a 5 inch screen you are basically stuck with subpar service. I mean the menus and equipment hasnt been updated in decades. looking at the interfaces of Netflix or Hulu or others just makes regualr cable look sad
    19 Mar 2014, 12:13 PM Reply Like
  • 9895461
    , contributor
    Comments (83) | Send Message

Attic antenna for local HDTV and library DVD's is what we've been using for the past 13 yrs.
    I can't see why anyone would pay for commercials.
    19 Mar 2014, 03:43 PM Reply Like
  • EdwardjK
    , contributor
    Comments (136) | Send Message

I don't know I would live without the "Don't Let Your Neck Age You" channel on DirecTV.
    19 Mar 2014, 04:44 PM Reply Like
  • richard McDonough
    , contributor
    Comments (65) | Send Message

It is obvious that mot enough people use your site. Hm..
    19 Mar 2014, 07:22 PM Reply Like
  • User 12479121
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

RipChillen22

Are you saying you can live without Honey Boo Boo and Sponge Bob? I can't.

Rip Thunder
    19 Mar 2014, 08:56 PM Reply Like
  • DDLP
    , contributor
    Comments (5) | Send Message

Question for 9895461:
    What is the antenna you have and how do you access local HDTV?
    20 Mar 2014, 04:03 AM Reply Like
  • 9895461
    , contributor
    Comments (83) | Send Message

I found this http://bit.ly/1gCiyLj and thought I'd give it a try one Saturday afternoon. The only thing I had to buy was the transformer ($2 at Menards) as I had the other stuff out in the garage. I was shocked at how many channels it picked up. It picked up all the channels in green on TVFool (type in your zip code)
    It's in the attic so I don't care what it looks like. Crystal clear HDTV for free!
    20 Mar 2014, 06:48 AM Reply Like
  • HCWHunter22
    , contributor
    Comments (75) | Send Message

I'm sure that the antenna link provided by 9895461 or a commercially available digital antenna work well, but we have been using the old antenna that was already on the roof of our home when we bought it 30 yrs. ago and it works perfectly fine for broadcast HDTV channels. Now granted we live in a high signal strength area of suburban Los Angeles, but many people will find that they don't need a new fancy antenna to get free HDTV.
    20 Mar 2014, 03:41 PM Reply Like