Starbucks to turn baristas into bartenders

• Starbucks (SBUX) plans to sell alcohol in the evening at thousands of its stores.
  • The revelation came from COO Troy Alstead during an interview with Bloomberg.
  • The company says testing of the concept at select stores has gone very well.
  • Starbucks outlets located near movie theaters, restaurants, and areas with an active nightlife are more likely to be tapped for alcohol sales.
From other sites
Comments (8)
  • Philberg
    , contributor
    Comments (76) | Send Message

I think "bartenders" reads very strong. In my opinion they will serve selected wines and beers and nothing more. It will be like a gentlemen's drink, not the go-to-cocktail bar ;)
    20 Mar, 09:59 AM Reply Like
  • koliver7
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

We own Starbucks stock and I am totally against them selling alcohol. I have first hand knowledge what alcohol does to society and the famly. Drinking a latte never killed anyone or destroyed a family. Nothing redeeming in alcohol.
    20 Mar, 01:25 PM Reply Like
  • Philberg
    , contributor
    Comments (76) | Send Message

as I mentioned before, I don't think SBUX will generate a lot of profit by selling alcohol...at least I think if you really want to get a drink you go to a cocktail bar. thus, the people drinking alcohol at SBUX surely won't do this excessively. As a shareholder myself I'am surprised of this news and don't think it fits too well to SBUX. But time will tell.
    20 Mar, 02:30 PM Reply Like
  • petethebeet
    , contributor
    Comments (397) | Send Message

In Michigan to serve booze it would require (first) the availability and (second) the investment in acquiring a *liquor license* … much more likely it will be beer and wine only.
    20 Mar, 03:07 PM Reply Like
  • dsedacca
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

I believe selling alcohol, while at first might generate more profit, as time went on, it would fizzle as there are millions of young people under 18 who frequent Sbux who have never experienced the effects of alcohol and their first drink would be at a coffee house, thereby triggering the terrible cycle of the progression of alcoholism in motion. The parents or guardians of the said 18-and-under crowd would be totally turned off by this and might even boycott Starbucks products. Alcoholism pervades society today, and selling alcohol at a coffee house would be a total negative setback to an otherwise booming market.
    21 Mar, 06:13 AM Reply Like
  • Philberg
    , contributor
    Comments (76) | Send Message

well...somehow I agree with you, but I have to say, all dancing schools for example I know offer alcoholic beverages and their regular customers are 13 years and older. So these children have pretty early "eye-contact" with alcohol there but they just don't care. If they feel ripe to drink alcohol they should either do it together with their parents at home and talk with them about it, or they will drink something no matter where...SBUX offering alcohol doesn't worse this fact in my opinion. Almost every café offers whiskey or other drinks and the children don't drink it there ;-)
    21 Mar, 09:44 AM Reply Like
  • easyg35
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message

A really bad idea. Does not fit their business model and they'll lose much of their base. Alcohol has made enough inroads into our society and caused many problems. Starbucks doesn't need to become Starbooze.
    21 Mar, 10:18 AM Reply Like
  • petethebeet
    , contributor
    Comments (397) | Send Message

Makes sense.

In an active downtown at night coffeeshops already can be very busy places … add the option of having a beer or a glass of wine makes Starbucks a viable option to a couple or a small group of people to go in, sit down and make it a stop on their evening out where one or two in the group wants alcohol and the others do not.

As for it becoming a 'bar' I don't see it. There are already plenty of bars who do that better.

Starbooze is a red herring … they're not going to serve booze.
    22 Mar, 01:34 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub