ISM Non-Manufacturing Index

Comments (11)
  • Grant Dossetto
    , contributor
    Comments (163) | Send Message

So much for the weather bump. Another bad employment data point as well...we'll probably have a boffo number tomorrow.
    3 Apr, 10:05 AM Reply Like
  • bbro
    , contributor
    Comments (9852) | Send Message

"The industries reporting growth of business activity in March — listed in order — are: Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing & Hunting; Utilities; Construction; Retail Trade; Accommodation & Food Services; Management of Companies & Support Services; Finance & Insurance; Transportation & Warehousing; Professional, Scientific & Technical Services; Public Administration; Wholesale Trade; and Information. The industries reporting decreased business activity in March are: Mining; Educational Services; Other Services; Health Care & Social Assistance; and Arts, Entertainment & Recreation."
    3 Apr, 10:40 AM Reply Like
  • Rope a Dope
    , contributor
    Comments (578) | Send Message

Even a corpse can twitch once the life has gone out of it.
    3 Apr, 11:05 AM Reply Like
  • Tack
    , contributor
    Comments (13579) | Send Message

Rope:

I've been around for 65 years. Those, who believe in failure, reap exactly what they believe in.
    3 Apr, 11:22 AM Reply Like
  • Rope a Dope
    , contributor
    Comments (578) | Send Message

Tack, you could also say that those people who fail to recognize an approaching crisis are doomed to failure.

The numbers for our debt are all over the place, but that in itself is a problem; there is no current mechanism to recognize and report the total debt of the local, county, state, and Federal governments. There is a movement underway to address this but if some of the debt numbers are even close to correct, there is nowhere to go but down; way below bottom.

David Walker, a former US Comptroller, estimates total US debt at $50 to $60 trillion. A Boston U Economist, Laurence Kotlikoff, puts the debt at about $200 trillion. If the debt were really only $60 trill, maybe (a big frggin’ maybe) we could dig out of the hole, but the problem will never be addressed because far too few people are aware of it and even less seem willing to do anything about it.

If the debt is anywhere near to $200 trillion, it’s over, and as I said we’re already dead we’re just too stupid to fall over. The governments combined would have to take every cent every person makes, as well as every cent of net profit of all US businesses for the next 25 years to pay off a $200 trillion dollar debt.
    3 Apr, 12:22 PM Reply Like
  • jStryderl
    , contributor
    Comments (176) | Send Message

"bbro, you kill me. You are probably the most optimistic person on SA, but I have to disagree with your optimism, long term at least."

In 2011, there was a lot more talk of the economy heading for a double dip recession, and bbro would interpret the data as otherwise at the time as he continues to today. He has been right since then, and investing in the broad market has been very profitable since then as well.
    3 Apr, 12:58 PM Reply Like
  • Rope a Dope
    , contributor
    Comments (578) | Send Message

Note my comment 'long term'. I trade daily and have done quite well over the last few years. But I also remain well-grounded and I don't buy into a recovery for one second. Some areas of our economy may have shown signs of improvement over the last few years, but you can be 110% certain that if our debt is anywhere near those levels, our economy will eventually collapse. Even the CBO says our current debt trajectory is unsustainable.

It may take one catastrophe or several smaller events, but we aren’t doing anything to eliminate the threat this massive debt imposes on us. Personally, I don’t think we’re more than 5 years off from losing fiat currency status and that alone is going to have a disastrous impact on our economy.
    3 Apr, 01:47 PM Reply Like
  • Rope a Dope
    , contributor
    Comments (578) | Send Message

jStryderl, to be clear, I'm not suggesting the possibility of a double dip recession; I'm saying if our debt really is close to $200 trillion, nothing less than complete collapse can happen.
    3 Apr, 01:49 PM Reply Like
  • jStryderl
    , contributor
    Comments (176) | Send Message

Rope a Dope, I hear you. I just don't know how to invest and make money with that perspective. I am bullish until the trend changes, which will likely be too late. I just won't invest what I can't afford to lose.
    3 Apr, 02:22 PM Reply Like
  • Rope a Dope
    , contributor
    Comments (578) | Send Message

I’ve gone from investing to swing trading and over the last 3 months, pretty much day trading. In short, I stay close to the exit.
    3 Apr, 02:42 PM Reply Like
  • jStryderl
    , contributor
    Comments (176) | Send Message

I see. That makes sense. Thanks.
    3 Apr, 02:53 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub