- Per CVS Caremark's (CVS) Insights report prescription drug trend rose 3.8% last year versus flat growth in 2012. Growth drivers were price inflation and increased utilization (more prescriptions per member).
- Specialty medications that treat more complex diseases grew by 15.6%.
- The company generates the report, which includes an outline of cost containment strategies, to assist payers with their management of prescription drug spending.
- Drug trend is the measure of growth in prescription spending per member per month.
- The generic dispensing rate was 81.4%.
- (RAD) (WAG)