- Stock futures point to more losses at the open, with weaker than expected earnings from JPMorgan Chase adding to the gloom; S&P -0.4%, Dow -0.5%, Nasdaq -0.6%.
- European and Asian markets also have been slammed following yesterday's rout in U.S. stocks: The Stoxx Europe 600 is off 1.6% and has dropped 3.3% since closing at a more than six-year high a week ago, and the Nikkei stumbled 2.4% to a six-month low.
- JPM -3.7% premarket after Q1 earnings and revenue missed estimates, citing headwinds in its markets and mortgage businesses; Wells Fargo is flat after posting a Q1 earnings beat.
- Some of the recent high-fliers that have been hit hard look to open even lower: Gilead Sciences -1.5%, Facebook -2.4%, Netflix -1.5% premarket.
- Treasurys hold gains, with the benchmark 10-year yield down nearly 4 bps at 2.61%.
- Still ahead: consumer sentiment.