- Recent IPO Dicerna Pharmaceuticals (DRNA +0.6%) demonstrates the value of timing by virtue of its strong debut on January 30. Priced at $15, the new issue gapped up at the open and peaked at $46 on turnover of ~4M shares.
- Shortly thereafter, money flow in the biotech sector turned decidedly negative. DRNA trades today at ~$18.25, down 60% from its opening day high.
- The development stage firm's technology is RNA interference. Its lead products are DCR-M1711 for MYC oncogene-related cancers and DCR-PH1 for primary hyperoxaluria. A Phase 1 clinical trial will start this year for M1711 but won't begin until 2015 for PH1.
- Cash and equivalents at year end were $46.6M, up from $3.7M a year earlier.
- Cash burn was ~$11M in 2013.
- (IPO) (FPX)
at CNBC.com (Jun 30, 2014)