Proof of Olysio + Sovaldi?

• Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ +2%) hepatitis C drug Olysio (simeprevir) blew out Q1 expectations with its $354M in sales. Wells Fargo analyst Lawrence Biegelsen forecasted only $23M.
  • Some observers believe that many physicians are prescribing the drug in combination with Gilead's (GILD +2.3%) Sovaldi (sofosbuvir) thereby inflating the full regimen cost to ~$150,000 in the U.S.
  • A 12-week course of treatment of Olysio costs $66,360.
Comments (8)
  • 208Pb
    , contributor
    Comments (15) | Send Message

Combo SOF/SIM most cost effective against HepC G1

15 Apr, 04:29 PM Reply Like
  • abe4811
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

As a patient awaiting Medicare approval of the dual combo therapy, I fully understand the reasoning behind the co-prescribing.In those patients that have previously been unable to clear their bodies of the Hep C virus, the dual-pill regimen has the highest rate of efficacy. This patient population typically is composed of the sickest group of individuals, many on the doorstep of Hepatic transplant and or Hepatic Carcinoma. When comparing the cost of this treatment as opposed to transplant, the numbers are clearly in favor of a medical treatment, instead of a surgical one.
    15 Apr, 04:57 PM Reply Like
  • Joe Lunchbox
    , contributor
    Comments (447) | Send Message

>Some observers believe that many physicians are prescribing the drug in combination with Gilead's (GILD +2.3%) Sovaldi (sofosbuvir)<

It seem this should be easy to find out. They should print this data when proven.

On another front, it seems hypocritical to me that folks are jumping up and down about Sovaldi but I don't hear many complaints about the price of Olysio.

I hope everyone with this hideous disease can become cured. I hope government and insurance quit squawking and start getting these people the treatment they need.
    15 Apr, 06:23 PM Reply Like
  • chopchop0
    , contributor
    Comments (3539) | Send Message

JNJ has better lobbyists than GILD
    15 Apr, 09:04 PM Reply Like
  • ktmj
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

My doctor is one of those who prescribed this combo to me, and my labs dropped to normal and undetectable HCV within 3 weeks. I'm currently in my 10th week of the 12 week regimen and all is well so far - no side effects, no viral load, normal blood chemistry. It's not any big secret that Olysio+Sovaldi work well together - the COSMOS clinical trials confirmed their efficacy. It's the combined hurdles that drug company executives and the insurance companies construct that keep it from being an "FDA-approved" protocol. The liver specialists all seem to recognize it as the breakthrough that it is, and in my case they simply needed to justify the necessity of using the 2-pills to my insurance carrier, and presumably to the Gilead and J&J reps. It was approved in one day and I started the next week. The pricing appears high at face value, but is less than the price of the old interferon + ribs course over 48 weeks, and I am only paying $30/month for three months after the Gilead and J&J rebates and my insurance copay. Yes, not everyone has access, but many people do at a realistic price point. Don't blame the manufacturers of these miracle drugs, blame the politicians/insurance companies for building such an inequitable healthcare system.
    15 Apr, 09:11 PM Reply Like
  • Joe Lunchbox
    , contributor
    Comments (447) | Send Message

Good luck to you. I hope you have a long and happy life.
    16 Apr, 01:52 AM Reply Like
  • ktmj
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

To add to my previous comment, this recent article in Hepatology journal covers the issue of cost very well http://1.usa.gov/RmNTgN and comes out in clear favor of the Sovaldi+Olysio regimen cost versus Sovaldi+ribavirin, e.g.
    16 Apr, 02:16 AM Reply Like
  • BioNoob
    , contributor
    Comments (52) | Send Message

Olysio's growth potential will be limited once $GILD get its combination Sovaldi+ledipasvir approved on Oct 10th by the FDA. Positive data for this combination and possible 8 week therapy instead of 12. (see link) http://bit.ly/1kySfMa

Many insurance companies are trying to manage the use of Sovaldi by implementing stricter prior authorization criteria like evidence of cirrhosis, which is more strigent than the current FDA labeling. Now that the combination of Sovaldi+ledipasvir demonstrated efficacy in previously treated patients with cirrhosis, the stricter criteria might not hold.

I anticipate that Sovaldi's Q1 will be very strong, Q2 will slow down a bit because of the stricter criteria, and then will take off again once the combination product is approved.
    16 Apr, 01:09 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub