- Twitter's (TWTR +2.9%) targeted mobile app install ads, already in testing, have officially launched.
- As previously reported, the ads leverage Twitter's expandable card format. They also leverage Twitter's online ad-buying platform, and can be delivered on 3rd-party apps via MoPub's mobile ad exchange.
- Twitter is looking to take a bite out of Facebook's (FB +0.1%) app install ad business, which has reeled in thousands of developers struggling to get recognized on the App Store and Google Play.
- Facebook's app install ads drove 245M downloads last year Video ad support was added last fall.
- Beta testers for Twitter's solution include Spotify and top Japanese mobile game platform Gree. The company suggests it plans to launch additional targeted ad products in tandem with MoPub.
- Twitter's product teams haven't been shy about borrowing ideas from Facebook. Of course, the opposite also holds.
at CNBC.com (Nov 19, 2014)