- Stronger-than-expected iPhone sales (carry higher margins than iPad/Mac sales) led Apple (AAPL) to post an FQ2 gross margin of 39.3% +180 bps Y/Y and above guidance of 37%-38%. GM guidance is set at 37%-38% for FQ3.
- iPhone revenue (57% of total revenue) +17% Y/Y to $26.1B, an improvement from FQ1's 6% growth. iPad revenue -13% to $7.6B, a reversal from FQ1's +7%. Mac revenue +1% to $5.5B vs. +16% in FQ1.
- iTunes/software/services revenue +11% to $4.57B (+19% in FQ1), accessories +3% to $1.4B, iPods -52% to $461M.
- Exc. retail, Americas revenue +2% vs. -1% in FQ1. Europe +4% vs. +5%, Greater China +13% vs. +29%, Japan (has been a strong spot) +26% vs. +11%, rest of Asia-Pac (has been a weak spot) -17% vs. -9%. Retail sales were flat after growing 9% last quarter.
- ~$18B was spent on buybacks, providing a lift to EPS. As a result, Apple's cash/investment balance fell by ~$9B to $150B.
- FQ2 results, split announcement, PR
Check out Seeking Alpha’s new Earnings Center »
From other sites
at Financial Times (Mon, 10:42AM)
at CNBC.com (Fri, 12:49PM)
at ValueWalk.com (Wed, 5:29PM)
at Zacks.com (Wed, 4:24PM)
at CNBC.com (Wed, 12:57PM)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs