- The U.S. and EU are set to impose new targeted sanctions on Russia tomorrow that would hit more individuals with travel bans and asset freezes.
- The proposed action would come after the G7 concluded that Russia hasn't met its pledge to "de-escalate" the conflict with Ukraine.
- However, any moves wouldn't target broad sections of Russia's economy, as Ukraine has demanded. While the U.S. and EU have made noises about wider-ranging action, individual EU countries fear the consequences for their economies. Businesses, especially in the energy sector, have been lobbying to limit the sanctions.
- Meanwhile, Ukraine and Slovakia are tomorrow set to sign a limited reverse-flow agreement that would supply natural gas to Ukraine, which is looking to reduce its reliance on Russia for its energy needs.
- More on Ukraine
- ETFs: RSX, RUSL, ERUS, RUSS, RSXJ, RBL, GUR, ESR, RUDR
at Nasdaq.com (Jan 22, 2015)