- With U.S. carriers trying hard to lower subsidy spend, Android (GOOG -0.8%) grew its U.S. smartphone share to 57.6% in Q1 from 49.3% a year earlier, thinks Kantar Worldpanel. Kantar also estimates Google's OS grew its EU5 share by 150 bps to 70.7% and its Chinese share by 810 bps to 80%, albeit while seeing its Japanese share drop 430 bps to 57.3%.
- Five days after Apple (AAPL +3.6%) reported its Japanese sales rose 26% Y/Y, Kantar estimates the company's Japanese share rose 860 bps 57.6%. On the other hand, its U.S. share fell 780 bps to 43.7%, and its Chinese share 540 bps to 17.9%. EU5 share rose fractionally to 19.2%.
- Strong phablet sales boosted Android's Chinese position: Over 40% of the country's March smartphone sales involved 5"+ devices. Can a 5.5" iPhone give Apple a lift?
- Following recent share gains, Kantar thinks Windows Phone (MSFT +2.3%) is slumping due to low-end Android competition: Though its 8.1% EU5 share is up 160 bps Y/Y, it's down from recent 9%+ levels.WP's U.S. and Chinese shares are respectively at 5.3% (-30 bps) and 1% (-90 bps).
- Meanwhile, with the Nokia deal closed, new Microsoft hardware chief Stephen Elop says Redmond is committed to supporting the low-end Nokia X Android phones. Elop: "Nokia X uses the MSFT cloud, not Google's. This is a great opportunity to connect new customers..."
- While many tech momentum stocks get crushed, Apple and Microsoft are benefiting from a flight to safety. Apple has made fresh 52-week highs, and Microsoft is close to its 52-week high of $41.66.
Kantar: Android takes share in U.S., iPhone gains in Japan, WP "stutters"
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (May 19, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (May 15, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (Mar 27, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (Mar 25, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Mar 25, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs