- With U.S. carriers trying hard to lower subsidy spend, Android (GOOG -0.8%) grew its U.S. smartphone share to 57.6% in Q1 from 49.3% a year earlier, thinks Kantar Worldpanel. Kantar also estimates Google's OS grew its EU5 share by 150 bps to 70.7% and its Chinese share by 810 bps to 80%, albeit while seeing its Japanese share drop 430 bps to 57.3%.
- Five days after Apple (AAPL +3.6%) reported its Japanese sales rose 26% Y/Y, Kantar estimates the company's Japanese share rose 860 bps 57.6%. On the other hand, its U.S. share fell 780 bps to 43.7%, and its Chinese share 540 bps to 17.9%. EU5 share rose fractionally to 19.2%.
- Strong phablet sales boosted Android's Chinese position: Over 40% of the country's March smartphone sales involved 5"+ devices. Can a 5.5" iPhone give Apple a lift?
- Following recent share gains, Kantar thinks Windows Phone (MSFT +2.3%) is slumping due to low-end Android competition: Though its 8.1% EU5 share is up 160 bps Y/Y, it's down from recent 9%+ levels.WP's U.S. and Chinese shares are respectively at 5.3% (-30 bps) and 1% (-90 bps).
- Meanwhile, with the Nokia deal closed, new Microsoft hardware chief Stephen Elop says Redmond is committed to supporting the low-end Nokia X Android phones. Elop: "Nokia X uses the MSFT cloud, not Google's. This is a great opportunity to connect new customers..."
- While many tech momentum stocks get crushed, Apple and Microsoft are benefiting from a flight to safety. Apple has made fresh 52-week highs, and Microsoft is close to its 52-week high of $41.66.
Kantar: Android takes share in U.S., iPhone gains in Japan, WP "stutters"
Are you Bullish or Bearish on ?
Results for ()
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
From other sites
at CNBC.com (Tue, 9:53AM)
at MarketWatch.com (Mon, 10:27AM)
at Benzinga.com (Sat, 7:33PM)
at MarketWatch.com (Fri, 5:08PM)
at MarketWatch.com (Fri, 3:51PM)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs