E-cig ban teed up by New York state legislators

• A group of politicians in the state of New York plan to propose a bill which would ban electronic cigarettes in public spaces.
  • A local ban in New York City started earlier this week.
  • Related stocks: MO, BTI, LO, PM, ECIG, VGR, XXII
Comments (18)
  • Scenic Dr
    Comments (113) | Send Message

While I'm not a smoker, that's absolutely ludicrous!
    30 Apr, 10:43 AM Reply Like
  • BAHAMAS1
    Comments (2150) | Send Message

Here comes the "more righteous than thou" group .

Anything for a headline. Who's their leader, bloomberg?
    30 Apr, 10:58 AM Reply Like
  • JD in NJ
    Comments (979) | Send Message

I'd suggest that politicians ban stupidity, but they wouldn't wish to put themselves out of work.
    30 Apr, 11:09 AM Reply Like
  • Camellia Capital Management
    Comments (167) | Send Message

I didn't know anything about e-cigs until I came across a friend "smoking" one recently. Aren't all of the harmful ingredients in typical second-hand smoke absent from the "smoke" e-cigs produce? It's water vapor for crying out loud, mixed with a little diluted nicotine, which by itself doesn't appear particularly dangerous (especially in this second-hand type of way). These regulators in New York have entirely too much power and, apparently, too little real work to tend to.
    30 Apr, 11:17 AM Reply Like
  • TRHanson
    Comments (172) | Send Message

Some don't even have nicotine. If they are used to quit smoking (by using less and less nicotine in their juice), some people still like to vape even after cutting all the nicotine out. It's the oral fixation thing. At that point, it *should* just be water and flavoring. Some low quality juice not made in the USA has other chems in it though, but that is much more harmful to the vaper than to others.
    30 Apr, 12:14 PM Reply Like
  • teebob21
    Comments (6) | Send Message

Water, optional nicotine, flavoring, and propylene glycol (same stuff that makes a fog machine work)...switched to vaping myself a month ago, and haven't wanted a cigarette since.

Hmmm - I wonder if they'd ban fog from Broadway productions if they found out it was substantially similar....silly New York govt...
    14 May, 05:32 PM Reply Like
  • deercreekvols
    Comments (5704) | Send Message

I wish the legislators in Albany would do something about the outrageous taxes in New York state and quit worrying about e-cigarettes.

Another feather in the cap of Andrew Cuomo if e-cigarettes are banned state-wide.
    Just what he doesn't need.

I have lived and worked in NY for the last 47 years. I do not need, or want, the legislators in Albany looking out for my health. That is not what they were elected to do.
    30 Apr, 12:09 PM Reply Like
  • JDDurango
    Comments (195) | Send Message

Why anyone would live in that communist, tax-ridden state escapes me.
    30 Apr, 12:49 PM Reply Like
  • deercreekvols
    Comments (5704) | Send Message

Western NY is a beautiful place to live and work, if you can find a job.

I have been teaching for the last 25 years and will not leave at this point.

Finger Lakes region, Rochester, Adirondak State Park, Cooperstown, Corning, The Catskills, ski resorts, etc. plenty to see and do in New York.
    30 Apr, 02:36 PM Reply Like
  • K. Taylor
    Comments (11) | Send Message

Glade I don't live in New York, ban the soda, ban the e-cigs. Where have personal rights gone?
    30 Apr, 03:26 PM Reply Like
  • deercreekvols
    Comments (5704) | Send Message

New York state has yet to ban large sodas and e-cigs. NYC is the place that is cracking down on these items. Those of us outside NYC can still indulge in these things...for now.

NY slips slowly into the abyss and my legislators are worried about e-cigs and bottles of Diet Coke.

I love NY! (as the old tourist ad says)
    30 Apr, 05:17 PM Reply Like
  • BAHAMAS1
    Comments (2150) | Send Message

K. Taylor-
    bloomberg buried them with Hoffa when he left office.
    30 Apr, 04:36 PM Reply Like
  • ara1029
    Comments (132) | Send Message

I see too many people picking their nose in public. Let's ban that too. While we're at it, why not put a tax on breathing in for longer than 3 seconds? Coughing in public should be illegal too.... At what point is the line crossed? Is there even a line left to be crossed?
    1 May, 04:22 AM Reply Like
  • arthur_bishop1972
    Comments (2405) | Send Message

Sad but true.
    1 May, 03:04 PM Reply Like
  • BAHAMAS1
    Comments (2150) | Send Message

Sad yes, but these jackasses keep getting voted in !
    1 May, 06:06 PM Reply Like
  • jobehro
    Comments (216) | Send Message

Are we our Brothers keeper? Where does this go? Where is the line drawn any more? Does science count for any thing in the land of the free, the home of the brave? Well perhaps these Legislaterers are a minority of "We the people" and not representative of the state at large. Let's hope informed leaders step up and save the day.
    1 May, 09:11 PM Reply Like
  • BAHAMAS1
    Comments (2150) | Send Message

"Informed" leaders have to be VOTED IN, they just don't appear out of nowhere.
    1 May, 10:05 PM Reply Like
  • K. Taylor
    Comments (11) | Send Message

It seems to me most politicians start with good intentions. And run amok from there.Is it the power, cronyism and job security that keep them in the groove? I sure wish I knew the answer but if I did, my answer would go unheard.I have visited NY on business and found the people in general to be quite rude.
    7 May, 05:28 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub