Twitter -4.9% as lockup expiration arrives

Twitter (TWTR) has fallen below $37 as over 4/5 of outstanding shares become eligible for sale. Shares are making new post-IPO lows, but remains soundly above a $26 IPO price.

Shareholders owning 205M shares have promised not to sell for now. But that still leaves another 275M featuring no such commitment.

From other sites
Comments (16)
  • Tales From The Future
    Comments (7103) | Send Message

"have promised not to sell for now."

I wonder what "for now" really means when the selling pressure increases.

I think TWTR could fall back to $20-25 easily in case their user and engagemet numbers don't improve over the next quarters and if the overall stock market turns sour.

TWTR pre-market action speaks louder than CEO and major investor promises of "not selling shares".
    6 May 2014, 08:50 AM Reply Like
  • 22643611
    Comments (2099) | Send Message

Those who filed k8's can sell in 60 days
    6 May 2014, 09:13 AM Reply Like
  • benitus
    Comments (3089) | Send Message

The Obvious has finally come to pass. That should end the continuing and swirling debate about the future and prospects for TWTR. It must drop below $35 before it can rise from the ashes. Whether it can go below $30 (and how low) would depend on how traders and former buyers would value this stock for themselves, once they know what going to happen to the release of the lockup shares. I will not begin to cover my considerable shorts until it has gone below $35 but I should be done by the time, if and when, it reaches $30. I've lined up all my ducks and waiting to ring my cash register with my expected profits. May the odds remain always in our favor.
    6 May 2014, 09:10 AM Reply Like
  • eramire
    Comments (7) | Send Message

Sell Sell Sell.
    6 May 2014, 09:21 AM Reply Like
  • Flypfs58
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Thankfully I saw this coming a long time while ago and sold in the mid $50's, once it bottoms out in the mid $20's I will grab a few thousand shares as I believe Twitter will see at least the mid $40 per share range around this time next year. So for now I will watch the price drop until entry again. Twitter did great for me on my first go around with the stock no reason it will not do the same again, $25 is the ideal re-entry price for me :-)
    6 May 2014, 09:49 AM Reply Like
  • benitus
    Comments (3089) | Send Message

Flyp....you shouldn't wait too long to pick up TWTR because it may never get down to $25, since the support is quite substantial, if you watch the trades being made. Any price below $35 is a good price but you should at least commence your purchases once it touches $30. How long it takes to get there and whether it will, only God knows. But if it ends the day with at least 50million shares and still hanging around $35, then the uptick will come sooner than expected. Hang on tight to your shares, for those who haven't sold out yet, because a rebound may come as early as this week. Good luck to all.
    6 May 2014, 10:02 AM Reply Like
  • cockynewbie
    Comments (20) | Send Message

So much short term trading on this guy. I'm sure it's fun but I'm still holding from IPO day zero. I'll look at it in ten years.
    6 May 2014, 10:14 AM Reply Like
  • Randal James
    Comments (4392) | Send Message

All a matter of semantics. "Are you planning on selling your shares?"

"Heck no!"

(I'm planning on DUMPING them...)

6 May 2014, 10:15 AM Reply Like
  • Randal James
    Comments (4392) | Send Message

correction to above.

"Are you planning on selling your shares?"

"Heck no!"

1. (I always use a broker to do that.)

2. (Not until I'm logged in to my account.)
    6 May 2014, 01:41 PM Reply Like
  • 22643611
    Comments (2099) | Send Message

Tried a quick 1000 share day trade long twtr. B @ 34.96 S @ 34.85

Have things to do and not hanging on to what appears to be a falling knife.

Later folks and good luck
    6 May 2014, 10:22 AM Reply Like
  • Patent News
    Comments (1459) | Send Message

nice. buy at 25 or 30?
    6 May 2014, 11:26 AM Reply Like
  • combatcorpsmanVN
    Comments (1235) | Send Message

Let me see if I have this straight -- Insiders and Vulture Investors that said they won't sell TWTR hold over 200,000,000 shares. And, another group of "I never lie to the retail investor" group holds over 275,000,000 shares.

Meanwhile the shares are down 11% at $34+/share from a high of $73/share 4 months ago. And, last (but certainly not least) is the "you're now free to sell your shares" restriction is OFF.

Okay, I think I got it…….. now, about that bridge in Brooklyn……….
    6 May 2014, 12:23 PM Reply Like
  • 22643611
    Comments (2099) | Send Message

Those who filed k8's can not legally sell for 60 more days.
    The rest are clearly getting out
    6 May 2014, 03:30 PM Reply Like
  • ericmcarter
    Comments (194) | Send Message

"We won't sell" = 6x increase in daily volume + 12% decline in share price.

...This equation does not add up.
    6 May 2014, 12:55 PM Reply Like
  • combatcorpsmanVN
    Comments (1235) | Send Message

"…This equation does not add up."

Yes, it does if you're a Wall Street hedge fund that has access to the Media.

I don't see any large holder of TWTR voluntarily holding on to a stock that continues to tank unless the Securities laws require them to hold the shares. Otherwise, regardless of what they say -- they're getting the hell out.
    6 May 2014, 04:10 PM Reply Like
  • Riimpekki
    Comments (79) | Send Message

I wonder if doggiecool or something like that have shot himself. He was cheering twitter being a great investment. I told before earnings report and before lock up day that I'm seeing this going down and I did invest accordingly. My mistake was to sell the bear instruments too soon. Missed 5000 euros not waiting this evening.
    7 May 2014, 10:27 AM Reply Like