Microsoft's Office iPad downloads hit 27M; new Azure tools released

Office iPad app downloads have hit 27M in 5 weeks, Microsoft (MSFT) exec Julia White stated at the company's TechEd conference. The software giant previously announced downloads for the long-anticipated and generally well-reviewed apps topped 12M in a week.

Microsoft is also rolling out several new features for Azure for the second time this spring (previous). Among them is ExpressRoute, a solution that (via service provider partnerships) allows Azure servers to directly connect with enterprise servers without touching the public Internet.

ExpressRoute yields improved performance for hybrid cloud deployments - Microsoft has been trying to use make strong hybrid cloud a differentiator relative to Amazon Web Services (more focused on public cloud services).

Also announced: 1) An Azure anti-malware solution for cloud services and virtual machines. 2) New encryption, data loss prevention, and disaster recovery options. 3) A simplified cloud storage solution that allows multiple virtual machines to share the same file.

Microsoft's Azure revenue rose 150% Y/Y in the March quarter, but the company hasn't given a specific sales figure. Synergy Research recently declared Azure to be "pulling away" from other rivals chasing Amazon, but its estimated sub-10% share remains well below Amazon's ~30% share for now.

From other sites
Comments (9)
  • DrGarnicus
    , contributor
    Comments (117) | Send Message

Surprised Office would sell as it has on an iPad. I call them iFads, as it's more to have than to use. I cannot imagine using Excel on an iPad, even with an external keyboard.
    12 May 2014, 05:50 PM Reply Like
  • Ruffdog
    , contributor
    Comments (3541) | Send Message

Can I open my Excel spreadsheet and update it on Ipad without Office for Ipad?
    13 May 2014, 03:29 PM Reply Like
  • DrGarnicus
    , contributor
    Comments (117) | Send Message

I know for Windows PCs, they have an Excel viewer app, which acts as Acrobat Reader for PDFs, but for .xl* docs.

As to whether or not there's such an app for the iPad, I'm not sure. There could be a reader to view the file, but as far as updating it, you will need the software. Or OpenOffice.
    13 May 2014, 05:09 PM Reply Like
  • WaveRider007
    , contributor
    Comments (650) | Send Message

Even though the crippled software was downloaded, how many people realized they needed to sign up with MS to use it? How many new subs resulted from giving Office free to the iPad?
    12 May 2014, 06:05 PM Reply Like
  • rsbduff@gmail.com
    , contributor
    Comments (438) | Send Message

Touch screen office...could be interesting!

When will Microsoft realize that tablets are great....except for the onscreen keyboards. They take up so much room that it cripples the tablet's functionality.
    Sure...you can carry an add-on keyboard around.... in your purse.

Why don't they use multi-touch to input the stupid alphabet and numbers...wherever you touch....input. The computer industry is "challenged," even with the great brains at Microsoft..... When will someone recognize the "Elephant in the Room?"

RSBDuff
    12 May 2014, 06:41 PM Reply Like
  • cjaying
    , contributor
    Comments (52) | Send Message

RSBDuff.....you wouldn't have to carry an add-on keyboard in your purse if you used a Surface w/keyboard. I use one and it's very convenient.... use it either way... use add-on keyboard or on-screen. I much prefer add-on.
    13 May 2014, 02:36 PM Reply Like
  • BISTRO_CFO
    , contributor
    Comments (207) | Send Message

Three good opinions and 27millions wrong opinions. Which side is right?
    13 May 2014, 12:21 AM Reply Like
  • PeteCal
    , contributor
    Comments (90) | Send Message

I have a windows tablet. I installed Office on it. I use Office every day. Not to create documents but to view and edit files created elsewhere.
    I can carry everything I need on this tablet.
    And I am writing this with a "pen" on the screen.
    13 May 2014, 09:06 AM Reply Like
  • WaveRider007
    , contributor
    Comments (650) | Send Message

I am using my "thumbs" (haven't misplaced them yet).
    14 May 2014, 09:29 AM Reply Like