E-cigarettes may help smokers kick the tobacco habit

• British researchers find that e-cig users have a 60% higher success rate in quitting than those who use smoking cessation products like patches or gum or willpower alone. In a five-year study of almost 6,000 smokers, almost 20% of those who switched to e-cigs stopped smoking conventional fags. Only ~10% of those using patches or gum managed to quit. Slightly more than 15% quit using their willpower.
  • The long-term effects of vaping are unknown at present but they appear to be less bad than tobacco.
  • Related tickers: (MO) (BTI) (LO) (PM) (ECIG) (VAPE) (HPNN) (MCIG) (MWIP) (NTRR) (VAPR) (VPCO)
Comments (15)
  • shaai
    Comments (8) | Send Message

other related tickers:
    VAPR and
    VPCO
    20 May, 09:10 AM Reply Like
  • Econ Student
    Comments (217) | Send Message

(OTCQB:VPOR) and (OTCQB:MCIG) as well.
    21 May, 03:41 AM Reply Like
  • arthur_bishop1972
    Comments (2403) | Send Message

Can someone fwd this to the FDA??
    20 May, 10:23 AM Reply Like
  • Philip Marlowe
    Comments (1064) | Send Message

Switching to e-cigarettes is not quitting smoking.
    20 May, 11:32 AM Reply Like
  • Tom in Texas
    Comments (354) | Send Message

Philip, switching to e-cigarettes is quitting the inhalation of the combustion of tobacco (and its 600 assorted chemical byproducts).

I've gone from smoking 1.5+ packs of Marlboro Reds (2.4mg/ml nicotine) a day, to vaping (vaporizing) less than 0.5 packs of equivalent e-cigs (with 1.5mg/ml of nicotine) per day. USP Vegetable Glycerin (an ingredient in asthma inhalers) and USP Nicotine (known to NOT cause cancer), and a small % of flavoring, such as is in Nicorette Quickmist.

I have not smoked a tobacco cigarette in almost 3 months, after a 50 year habit. Haven't run the mile yet, but I have stopped coughing.

BTW, I sold all my MO (but continue to hold PM) after determining that is was relatively easy to quit smoking tobacco using e-cigs.
    20 May, 03:11 PM Reply Like
  • bill d
    Comments (1905) | Send Message

Congratulations - but why don't you just quit? After 30 years I had to realize the doctors finally found out something to make THEM quit. I analyzed just exactly WHY I smoked and it was stupid. I chewed a lot of ice & gum and the ends of #2 pencils but psychologically I was ready. e-cigs still have nicotine & that is a poison no matter what a lots of folks like to deny. All the research is just really beginning and the CDC is getting a lot of new information daily. None of it good for ecigs.
    20 May, 04:30 PM Reply Like
  • jb8967
    Comments (456) | Send Message

If you believe that than go bid on the Brooklyn Bridge while you're at it. Gov'ts are tripping over their feet to prove e-cigarettes are as harmful as conventional because they are more addicted to the tax revenues than the smokers to nicotine. E-cigarettes are a threat to every entrenched special interest...no one is supporting their marginal health benefits to society save for the e-cigarettes sellers...who have little credibility or influence.

Tobacco companies have spent BILLIONS developing super heated tobacco based products that avoid burning leaf and therefore avoid exposure to dangerous smoke constituents. The problem is e-cigs, which present little to know IP barriers...do not use tobacco and therefore fall outside the scope of a sin tax. You really don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that these products are a huge threat to everyone except the actual smoker. Seriously...the first thing they went after was the GLYCERIN...no one knows how bad that could be for you...says who...Dick Cheney? Scare mongering 101. Just for info, Glycerin is an FDA approved ingredient used in food, cosmetics, medicine...and you guessed it...as a humectant in the processing of conventional tobacco leaf!!! NOW....NOW it's an issue for the anti-vaping crowd. That's too convenient.

Bottom line...QUIT if you can. Smoking is really bad for your health.
    However, if I couldn't quit, then I would most certainly go for the e-cig. No question about it.
    22 May, 03:16 PM Reply Like
  • Matthew Mazurczak
    Comments (1088) | Send Message

"a poison" lol I love it. simple minds at their best.
    8 Jun, 04:57 PM Reply Like
  • bill d
    Comments (1905) | Send Message

No lack of simple minds everywhere.
    Of course this article involved information from folks in the medicine industry so don't be deceived.
    9 Jun, 01:13 PM Reply Like
  • Tman2010
    Comments (5) | Send Message

I quit smoking cigs and have been smoke free for over a year now. I used the blu e cig for about 5 months lowering my nic dose every 2 to 3 weeks until I was on zero nic. After a week or two of using the e cig with no nic I put that down too. The article states it helps, but it's still up to the user to quit. Again it aids in helping it's not a cure.
    21 May, 12:31 AM Reply Like
  • bill d
    Comments (1905) | Send Message

Congratulations. It is a horrible addiction to conquer. Especially if you enjoyed it - I really never did so it was a little easier for me. When I realized it was mainly a psychological problem - the physical part is over in about a week to two - the hard part was fighting the urge. In my case it apparently was the handling - weird but true. I used to have nightmares of walking down the street and realizing I was smoking a cigarette. It really does get in your head NPI.
    21 May, 02:32 PM Reply Like
  • MiamiInvestor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

It helped me quit smoking. I went to ecigs then weaned down and off...
    22 May, 04:12 AM Reply Like
  • MiamiInvestor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

It helped me quit smoking. I went to edits then weaned down and off...
    22 May, 04:12 AM Reply Like
  • jb8967
    Comments (456) | Send Message

There's no question so-called vaping is less harmful than smoking for the simple reason that it avoids pyrolizing (burning) the cigarette and therefore avoids creating the harmful tar components that are associated with various diseases. These components are summarized in the Hoffman list...about 4000 of them (from PAH's to TSNA's to CO). The issue for governments and tobacco companies is that vaping, though it is clearly less harmful to the consumer, creates an un-level playing field against conventional products that are taxed. Entrenched stake-holders lose big money when smokers shift to vaping...with governments being the biggest losers of coveted tax revenue. Sure, it's much better from a public health perspective, but you'll never see this pushed by any special interest because vaping is a threat to every single one of them...from Gov't to tobacco to pharma to anti-tobacco. All of them suffer when the smoker shifts to vaping. The only one who is actually benefiting from a cost AND health perspective is the consumer.
    22 May, 02:58 PM Reply Like
  • jobehro
    Comments (215) | Send Message

"Follow the money!" As Rush would say. Whose interests are threatened? It's plain to see. How does one knock off the competition? This will be interesting, maybe exciting to watch play out.
    27 May, 11:34 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub