- Microsoft's (MSFT -0.3%) 3rd-gen Surface Pro tablet (live blog) has a display that's 1.4" larger than its predecessor, and also features a more business-friendly 3:2 aspect ratio (was 16:9 previously). The display's resolution has been upgraded to 2160x1440 from 1920x1080.
- In spite of the larger screen, the Pro 3's weight (~800g) is lower than the Pro 2's (~900g). Its most powerful model runs on an Intel (INTC -0.1%) Core i7 CPU (high-end), and revamped Type Cover accessories sport a bigger/improved trackpad. At 9.1mm thick, Microsoft declares the Pro 3 the "thinnest [Intel] Core product ever created.
- Adobe (ADBE -0.3%) VP Michael Gough has used the event to show off an upcoming touch-optimized version of Photoshop designed to be manipulated with the Pro 3's stylus.
- The Pro 3 starts at $799, albeit for an Intel Core i3 version; the Pro 2 (64GB model) was priced at $899 at launch time. Citing its form factor and display size, The Verge declares the Pro 3 is "designed to destroy the laptop."
- Though no iPad-killer, the Surface Pro has carved out a niche among business users and enthusiasts - the ARM-based Surface RT has had a rougher time. IDC estimates Windows devices had just a 3.4% tablet share in 2013, but also thinks they'll eventually grab over a quarter of the commercial segment, aided by growing convertible demand.
- Update: Microsoft says Core i5 Pro 3 models will be available on June 20. Other configurations will arrive in August.
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (Jun 1, 2015)
at CNBC.com (Jun 1, 2015)
at CNBC.com (May 28, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (May 26, 2015)
at CNBC.com (May 22, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs