- SINA expects Q2 revenue of $177M-$182M, soundly below a $197.7M consensus.
- Weibo (WB), 57%-owned by Sina following its IPO, expects Q2 revenue of $74M-$76M, below a $77.9M consensus. The microblogging leader (revenue +161% Y/Y) accounted for 40% of Sina's Q1 revenue of $167.3M.
- Sina's online ad revenue (inc. Weibo) rose 44% Y/Y in Q1 to $135.7M, while its non-ad revenue rose 17% to $31.6M.
- Gross margin was 60% vs. 64% in Q4 and 51% a year ago, and opex rose 50% Y/Y to $104.4M (exceeding rev. growth of 38%).
- Weibo's ad/marketing revenue rose 161% Y/Y to $51.9M, and its value-added service revenue grew 120% to $15.7M. Display ad growth boosted the former figure, as did promoted Weibo feeds and e-commerce ads stemming from the company's Alibaba partnership.
- Weibo's costs/expenses rose 76% Y/Y to $73.1M. Monthly active users (MAUs) rose by 14.7M Q/Q to 129.1M, and daily active users by 5.2M to 66.6M.
- Sina: Q1 results, PR. Weibo: Q1 results, PR