BDC sector on sale

• The selloff in BDCs is a buying opportunity, writes BDC reporter, noting the opportunity today to invest in a basket of BDCs (using BDCS as a proxy) at an 11% higher yield than just three months ago. The sector is yielding 43% more than high yield bonds (HYG) and nearly double floating rate loans (BKLN).
  • The higher yield, of course, reflects market concern distributions are set to fall (and BKCC and MCGC cut in Q1), but for the sector as a whole, distributions have been fairly stable over the last three years. Further, a number of players are under-leveraged or in growth phase, and occasionally have realized gains which are paid out as special distributions.
  • Keep this list around, says BDC Reporter, musing on those who may boost payouts over the next year: ACAS, ARCC, ACRE, ACSF, CPTA, FDUS, FSFR, FULL, HCAP, HTGC, MAIN, MVC, TAXI, PSEC, TCPC, TSLX
  • ETFs: BDCL, BDCS, BIZD
Comments (29)
  • njbother
    Comments (307) | Send Message

Long bkcc and loving it.
    23 May, 08:12 AM Reply Like
  • privacy1015
    Comments (20) | Send Message

Long MAIN, TAXI and PSEC and thrilled. PSEC in particular is compelling despite the SEC issues as it is on sale for less than BV and dividends are known through year end.
    23 May, 08:20 AM Reply Like
  • mjtroll1
    Comments (1048) | Send Message

the bdcs/jnk pair is 'rolling over' (year end 2013).. after a 3yr period of outperformance.. range was -10 to 0 (currently -4).. no sign of reversal ..wooul expect further bdcs weakness vs jnk
    23 May, 08:32 AM Reply Like
  • thales23
    Comments (7) | Send Message

I agree with you MJ the whole sector seems to correlate with the Junk Bond sector which appears to be overheated. It doesn't react exactly on a daily basis but for the past 5 years on a Monthly chart the price moves seem to be pretty similar. It looks like yield-wise it is a good buy now that good be even better if you wait a while.
    24 May, 11:55 AM Reply Like
  • Brucejfern
    Comments (1367) | Send Message

BKCC? Need to do some homework on that one. Dividend looks unsustainable. Better to go with best of breed and 2% less dividend income.
    23 May, 08:39 AM Reply Like
  • VeroMike
    Comments (244) | Send Message

Long ARCC, MAIN and TCPC.
    Owned ACAS 2012-2013, concerns made me sell after it went from $10 to $14 in early Feb 2013. Still in $14 range. Upside?
    23 May, 08:46 AM Reply Like
  • murray555
    Comments (253) | Send Message

Long ARCC, PSEC, MCC and BDCL. Sold MAIN and several others.
    23 May, 09:19 AM Reply Like
  • Orthoeconomics
    Comments (36) | Send Message

Here is the response I received from PSEC regarding some of the rumors about their SEC situation.

The report is inaccurate in its assessment of the situation with the SEC.

I suggest that you read pages 100-101 of our form 10-Q for the details of the disagreement with the SEC. It is important to point out that this will have very little effect on taxable income which is the metric on which dividends are being paid. Also, the consolidation of such holding companies by Prospect would actually decrease transparency to our shareholders.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Brian H. Oswald
    Managing Director - Chief Financial Officer
    Prospect Capital Corp.

Phone: (212) 792-2259

boswald@prospectstreet...
    23 May, 09:27 AM Reply Like
  • rdooley
    Comments (11) | Send Message

Long PSEC but the SEC action erased nearly a year's earnings, but only if I sell the shares. I'll believe management for the time being: "http://seekingalpha.co...."
    23 May, 09:32 AM Reply Like
  • User 6830851
    Comments (142) | Send Message

Long MAIN (Why did you sell, murray555?) and wish I had added at $29.

Got in to PSEC (again) in the $9.50-ish area. We'll see how it goes.
    23 May, 10:56 AM Reply Like
  • 8766921( Rajendra Agrawal)
    Comments (18) | Send Message

I have followed the recent developments in PSEC with great interest. My own conclusion is that any downside risk associated with the SEC investigation, and possible adjustments of the financial statements, is already reflected in the recent drop of the share price. I have also concluded that the overall business of PSEC is on a solid ground and should be able to sustain the going forward dividends. I have therefore increased my position in this company by 30%.
    23 May, 11:21 AM Reply Like
  • Dividends#1
    Comments (2646) | Send Message

Hi Raj,

I agree with you. I recently started a position and then built it up to a full position on the drop. My cost basis is $10.26 including dividends. I am feeling good about this investment. Did you read Scott Kennedy's articles on PSEC? If not, they are a must read for all PSEC shareholders!!!
    23 May, 12:14 PM Reply Like
  • arthur_bishop1972
    Comments (2288) | Send Message

Why do so many here feel compelled to post their BDC holdings??? The article doesnt instruct readers to post their holdings. Maybe post your thoughts on which is the best deal and why??
    23 May, 12:14 PM Reply Like
  • Dennis Tikkanen
    Comments (71) | Send Message

There are some of us who are curious about what others are buying or holding.

I own a small stake in ARCC. Deferring on buying more until the Russell delisting passes.
    23 May, 11:52 PM Reply Like
  • Dividends#1
    Comments (2646) | Send Message

Arthur,

You have a degree in psychology, you should therefore have an idea why we post our holdings.

I post my holdings because it makes me accountable to myself and the SA community. It stops me from being a trader and makes me an investor. I am not saying everyone should do so, or it will have the same effect on others, it just works that way for me.

I have posted my holdings and the % of my portfolio since I became a member and I have had excellent success in doing so.

My entire Portfolio:

AGNC = 50%
    MO = 27%
    PSEC = 12%
    KMR = 8%
    MTGE =3%
    23 May, 12:28 PM Reply Like
  • arthur_bishop1972
    Comments (2288) | Send Message

Yes, I certainly understand why posters list their holdings, D#1. I occ post mine (and some of my clients) as well. It just seems like a bell rings (article is posted) and we see some only post their holdings and nothing else. How does that help the rest of us???

And don't even get me started on those posters whose first post is their life story in a paragraph. Why the heck do they do that???

If you go to a dance (or a bar, if you prefer), you don't just stand there with your credentials (wallet, degree, past relationships, income level, etc.) hanging out and expect people to come to you, do you?? You mingle, talk and ask questions, discuss news of the day, etc. How does simply posting your holdings help the discussion at hand??

Imo, it doesn't. That's all I'm saying.
    26 May, 04:40 AM Reply Like
  • Dividends#1
    Comments (2646) | Send Message

Hi Arthur,

I see your point. I try to share my thoughts and philosophy concerning investing as often as I can. Sometimes I even share information which other SA members tell me has directly helped them. They have even learned something new.

I have learned more from this site ( certain commenter's and authors) then any other source in over 22 years in the market. I have also read some excellent books and gained my philosophy from Ken Fisher. If you have not read Ken Fisher's " The Only Three Questions That Count", I highly recommend doing so as soon as possible, it is a must read in my opinion. Especially for someone in the field of psychology. I minored in Psychology.

Let me know if you have read it.

He has several other excellent books. I use his philosophy, I do not buy his stock recommendations ( he also writes for Forbes and make picks every year, I believe) or use his services. I like to manage my own accounts. I do enjoy his FREE quarterly market research booklets. They used to call me and try to solicit me to be a customer, I always turned them down. I have not seen his latest research, but I might google him and get my hands on an e-mailed version.
    26 May, 05:29 PM Reply Like
  • arthur_bishop1972
    Comments (2288) | Send Message

I have not read it D#1, but I will p/u a copy-thank you for the head's up.
    27 May, 10:59 PM Reply Like
  • dundey
    Comments (124) | Send Message

Well said Div.

I would also add TICC to this list. Am long TICC and MAIN.
    23 May, 12:51 PM Reply Like
  • damie225
    Comments (20) | Send Message

Long PSEC, MAIN and got greedy this past week :)
    23 May, 01:11 PM Reply Like
  • lefty139
    Comments (5) | Send Message

How about AINV ? Any comments.
    23 May, 05:59 PM Reply Like
  • ValueforGoodTK
    Comments (41) | Send Message

PSEC is still a bargain. Buy all you can.
    23 May, 06:24 PM Reply Like
  • Mpac1
    Comments (78) | Send Message

For me,the best thing is I continue to add shares via DRIP at lower prices....
    23 May, 06:31 PM Reply Like
  • smurf
    Comments (3973) | Send Message

Long PSEC, but will sell if it struggles upwards. These SEC things are never good, tend to drag on, and affect the stock negatively. I went through this with HCBK and held on due to blind faith which was unrewarded, to say the least.

Long MAIN, ARCC and will probably use PSEC proceeds to increase those positions.

24 May, 11:08 AM Reply Like
  • KeithRichards
    Comments (26) | Send Message

Long PSEC, and also own some $10 NOV PSEC Puts as insurance in these uncertain times. I cashed out my protective AUG puts when PSEC went to $9.20 for a very nice gain and reinvested half of it into the NOV puts. This is a great method for those of you who are more risk averse and plan on keeping PSEC as long as the business keeps covering it's dividend.
    24 May, 08:53 PM Reply Like
  • jpz11
    Comments (218) | Send Message

Question
    Just because PSEC has declared dividends through the end of the year can they not rescind them due to financial hardship?
    25 May, 09:02 AM Reply Like
  • Broadcaster 1
    Comments (77) | Send Message

you are correct, PSEC is on sale, but, it's moving up, gained a total of 20 cents on the last 2 trading days.
    25 May, 05:50 PM Reply Like
  • Broadcaster 1
    Comments (77) | Send Message

You are correct, PSEC is on sale, but for a limited time. PSEC gained 20 cents in the last 2 trading days.
    25 May, 05:59 PM Reply Like
  • Brucejfern
    Comments (1367) | Send Message

The thing about PSEC is whether suspension of their ATM program creates problems maintaining their dividend. PSEC's cost of capital is so high it is hard to imagine they can sustain their dividend now. I was systematically selling down my position and sold it all before this recent fall.

I am scaling back in to BDCs with fewer reasons for me to lose sleep at night.
    31 May, 10:23 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: