Premarket Gainers / Losers

Comments (8)
  • Pete P.
    , contributor
    Comments (397) | Send Message

BORN is way undervalued. Conference call was very positive. I see this company at $5 shortly.
    23 May, 09:14 AM Reply Like
  • clack
    , contributor
    Comments (24) | Send Message

the price action today on BORN after the premarket rise makes no sense to me whatever.
    23 May, 04:46 PM Reply Like
  • t time
    , contributor
    Comments (187) | Send Message

The big news here is PTCT - they always said they bullish about the decision coming 2Q 2014 after the shares took a beating last year when EU gave negative feedback. Amazing how things can change. Holders will see their shares double (buy the rumor, sell the news)... not sure about BORN... China decides no more ethanol from corn and it is over!
    23 May, 09:49 AM Reply Like
  • Pete P.
    , contributor
    Comments (397) | Send Message

What does decision about no more ethanol from corn do to BORN? BORN doesn't produce ethanol from corn. They produce edible alcohol from corn.

As a matter of fact, if China decides "no more ethanol from corn", the demand and price of corn would plummet allowing BORN to purchase corn much cheaper, thus increasing their profits.
    23 May, 01:35 PM Reply Like
  • t time
    , contributor
    Comments (187) | Send Message

Pete, what type of 'edible' alcohol is there besides ethyl alcohol (aka ethanol). I don't understand the logic here - in the US it is used for energy but it could be made edible as well - but corn is certainly not the most efficient plant for this - whether for energy but ESPECIALLY for consumption - much better to use a crop like cane or switch grass, etc. In the US, corn is used primarily because of politics - and the fact we can grow so much of it for so cheap (highest yields in the world). This is not the case in China. Maybe I am confused but I did not think there was a difference between ethanol and 'edible' alcohol. Surely not isopropanol or methanol! WHat is it that they are producing?
    27 May, 11:07 AM Reply Like
  • plecm@yahoo.com
    , contributor
    Comments (6) | Send Message

My basic degree is MD with specialty training is in liver disease at an ivy league school in the east coast. I was on faculty at 3 different schools. The last one is located in San Francisco. I had ten years experience in NIH funded research, of which I was the principle investigator in 7 years. I got interested in biotech investments since the 80's due to early and substantial investment in Chiron and Gilead ( in the 90's ). I'm now retired from teaching and medical consulting.
    As a former researcher in GI/ liver disease my understanding of the industry is deeper than most analysts. I manage my own portfolio. I use SA as a counterpoint. Many articles are full of fluff, but some are excellent and provide to me a sense of pulse of the market. Ironically i made more money on poor articles because they move the market in an adverse way that allowed me to "back up the truck" and load up on some companies with better valuation. I don't play the derivatives. PW
    23 May, 10:48 AM Reply Like
  • t time
    , contributor
    Comments (187) | Send Message

And the point is....? Not sure if you are addressing my comment or anything in particular... now that we have your background (which is impressive), tell us what you really think, Doc! PTCT, RNA, ISIS? Something about these stocks?
    23 May, 11:18 AM Reply Like
  • gless3940
    , contributor
    Comments (8) | Send Message

I bought isis a couple of years ago and took a nice profit with the intention of letting it cool off. You never go broke taking a profit. I let the stock get away from me but refused to chase it. I bought it back recently and plan on keeping it for the long term. This time if all goes well, I plan on selling my original investment and letting the profits run. That is if I get lucky and the stock does what I think it will do. For now happy with a small gain.
    24 May, 12:52 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: