- The highest-paid boss in America may come as a surprise: It's Nabors Industries (NBR -0.4%) CEO Anthony Petrello, who made $68.3M in 2013 as a result of a $60M lump sum the company paid him to buy out his old contract.
- Since becoming CEO in Oct. 2011, NBR shares are up ~180%, pretty good but not good enough to escape shareholder outrage; earlier this year, NBR finally agreed to change its corporate governance and compensation practices.
- Freeport McMoRan (FCX) CEO Richard Adkerson also received a one-time payment of $36.7M to renegotiate his contract; his $55.3M in total pay made him the third-highest paid CEO among S&P 500 companies last year.
- The second-highest paid CEO was CBS' Leslie Moonves of CBS, whose total compensation rose 9% to $65.6M; media industry CEOs were paid handsomely, as usual: Viacom’s (VIA, VIAB) Philippe Dauman made $37.2M, Disney’s (DIS) Robert Iger made $34.3M, and Time Warner's (TWX) Jeffrey Bewkes earned $32.5M.
- The head of a typical large public company earned a record $10.5M, up 8.8% from $9.6M in 2012, according to an AP pay study.