Facebook's Oculus reportedly teaming with Samsung for new headset

Engadget reports Samsung (SSNLF) is partnering with Oculus VR (FB) to build a mobile/media-focused VR headset.

Not surprisingly, Oculus is said to be handling the product's software/UI, and Samsung the hardware. Unlike the gaming-focused Oculus Rift, the headset won't have a display of its own, but will instead (using a slot within the device) rely on a smartphone to act as its screen.

The phone's rear camera can allow a user to stay connected to the outside world, and might also enable augmented reality apps. Oculus is reportedly providing Samsung with an early version of its mobile SDK,

As part of the tie-up, Samsung is providing Oculus with OLED displays sporting resolutions above 1080p for its own hardware; Universal Display (OLED) should be happy to hear that. The latest Rift dev. kit (DK2) features a 5" 1080p OLED display.

Mark Zuckerberg has insisted from the start the Oculus deal is about enabling a wide variety of VR applications, of which gaming is just one.

Comments (10)
  • Glenway Fripp
    , contributor
    Comments (1604) | Send Message

Last deals on the table!
    30 May 2014, 05:27 PM Reply Like
  • User 18077802
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Let's see how quickly Samsung will make a copy of its own. Steal idea, make a copy, milk the premium, commoditize it. fight it all in court!
    31 May 2014, 11:37 AM Reply Like
  • The Deji
    , contributor
    Comments (11) | Send Message

lol, YES! And I hope they do because they don't need Occulus the company, only Occulus the brand. Samsung is fully capable of making a phone that you wear on your face. "Rachet!" The Occulus' rift is no such monstrosity. The Rift uses years of research to create a virtual experience that will completely fool your senses. Yet they would lend their name to conceive of headgear that glues a phone to a person's face? Seriously? They need to be whipped, flogged, and taught a lesson.
    31 May 2014, 12:13 PM Reply Like
  • rockytoad
    , contributor
    Comments (49) | Send Message

Oculus is building the "dream team" of programmers and people. The best of the best programmers typically like to share their code and release it on open domain. That's part of the philosophy at Oculus. FB is aware of this so I'm sure they're thinking how can Oculus control the VR experience (so Samsung doesn't screw it up by trying to get something out fast ahead of everyone) to make is great, share knowledge to make it better, and monetize it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Oculus works out some Google type agreement to make sure they get a piece of the pie if Samsung or another company uses their tech.
    31 May 2014, 01:10 PM Reply Like
  • Glenway Fripp
    , contributor
    Comments (1604) | Send Message

I agree rockytoad. I actually think licensing is the best route. If Oculus 3Dinternet/metaverse OS becomes the standard for a lot of devises, (not just headsets but peripheries etc....... who knows?), it will be a winner for them no matter whose product wins the race the same way google won with their Android OS , (Something sort of) even though samsung won the devise war.

I have some doubts about whether Oculus' deal has to do with Samsung's current smart phone strap on VR dildo or whether they are embarking on some new joint project that we don't know about. A smart phone does not have the computing power to pull off anywhere near Oculus level VR. Nor is WIFI as fast a cable. Remember you have to have two video streams in sync and very little lag time to render a decent VR experience. It can't be done on a tablet computer let alone a smartphone and therefore would need to be rendered in the cloud and then seamlessly broadcast to the phone. I don't think so....
    31 May 2014, 02:39 PM Reply Like
  • rockytoad
    , contributor
    Comments (49) | Send Message

It's going to be interesting to see exactly what Samsung's device is going eventually be, whether it's more of a media player as opposed to a gaming device because of the computer power needed like you mentioned.

John Carmack (CTO of Oculus) and team may surprise. There is an interview in 2011 where he foretells Oculus and using phones as clip on glasses for a VR experience

listen @ 26:00 to 28:09
    31 May 2014, 03:55 PM Reply Like
  • Glenway Fripp
    , contributor
    Comments (1604) | Send Message

Here is the most in depth article I have found on the subject so far:

31 May 2014, 02:52 PM Reply Like
  • Glenway Fripp
    , contributor
    Comments (1604) | Send Message

So far we have all been very polite here and refrained from talking about how this deal between Oculus and Samsung will effect the bottom line! So! Let me jump in! As anyone who has read my blog or posts on the subject, I am the next generation of FB investors. I never owned a share until FB bought Oculus. While original investors sold their shares over concerns about FB market saturation, FB's seemingly strange acquisitions, the tech bubble, and so on, there were the new breed of investors picking up shares because of FB's Oculus acquisition. To us, Oculus is the future of FB. The transformation of the 2 dimensional internet to the 3 Dimensional internet will yield profits for FB that will dwarf FB's current or future advertising revenue. Don't think that I am alone! I believe there are millions of shares that have been bought by individuals, just like me, who have been buying up FB because of Oculus. What else could explain the Support in the share price while TWTR and LNKD continued their descent? Hence my original post, "Last deals on the table."

Maybe you all our being so quiet about this newly revealed 'fact' because you are all hoping that you can secretly double up on your shares Monday morning premarket before the share price goes up too much. I say, "not a chance" At 4:00 AM FB will jump 1/2 a percent and by the time 6:00 AM rolls by you will know the price you pay for waiting on the sidelines. No matter how high it is, it will still be a bargain at premarket offerings! Before Friday the discussion about FB shares was will it ever break $100. That discussion is quickly going to change to, "How high can FB go?"

My answer? "Apple wasn't a phone company. Apple is a phone company".

Good luck! And get up early on Monday! (And it won't be the first time I eat crow after making absurd predictions about the stock market!)
    31 May 2014, 07:58 PM Reply Like
  • Glenway Fripp
    , contributor
    Comments (1604) | Send Message

1 Jun 2014, 04:04 PM Reply Like
  • Golipoli
    , contributor
    Comments (89) | Send Message

Can somebody remind me why exactly I need my phone on my face?
    1 Jun 2014, 04:51 PM Reply Like