Apple's Spotlight search dumps Google in favor of Bing

• Along with announcing a major revamp of iOS and Mac OS X's Spotlight search tool - integrated local/Web search, location-specific results, and more content-specific search options are some of the new features, Apple (AAPL +1.2%) has quietly disclosed it's dropping Google (GOOG -1.5%) as Spotlight's Web search provider in favor of Bing (MSFT -1%).
  • Importantly, Google remains the default search provider for Safari, which in turn acts as the default iOS/Mac OS browser. But the Spotlight switch is still a noteworthy loss for Google, given the feature's tight integration with Apple's platforms - an iOS user only has to swipe down from his/her home screen to access Spotlight, and a new search box will provide quick access for Mac OS users.
  • As for Bing, the deal provides a needed mobile win for a search engine estimated by StatCounter to have just a 5.48% global mobile/tablet search share as of May - 1.77% for Bing proper, 3.71% for Yahoo - to Google's 93.5%. Bing replaced Google as Siri's search engine last year.
  • Separately, Apple has added DuckDuckGo as a Safari search option (along with Google, Bing, and Yahoo). DuckDuckGo tries to differentiate itself by emphasizing its privacy and security features - among other things, it doesn't store IP addresses or log user info.
Comments (42)
  • Ruffdog
    Comments (1294) | Send Message

More good news for MSFT!
    3 Jun, 11:36 AM Reply Like
  • pagreen1966
    Comments (584) | Send Message

More good news for DuckDuckGo which is my search engine of choice due to its non snooping policy.

I think most folk are just plain ignorant regarding the level of information which google is aquiring from its user base.
    3 Jun, 11:41 AM Reply Like
  • ekin09
    Comments (100) | Send Message

We are giving Google the info to provide better service. You are the ignorant one @pagreen1966 DuckDuckGo serves a select few of individuals who believe they are being followed.
    3 Jun, 12:15 PM Reply Like
  • Derek A. Barrett
    Comments (3534) | Send Message

Traffic stats say DuckDuckGo serves more than a select few:

Look at their growth trajectory, I'd say it even is making a compelling investment case with this type of growth.
    3 Jun, 01:54 PM Reply Like
  • wedmorn
    Comments (65) | Send Message

I go duckduck. google makes money off my search, but pays me nothing. kind of like data mining via "club" cards. I don't do it.
    3 Jun, 03:55 PM Reply Like
  • buyandhold???
    Comments (907) | Send Message

lol so true....and who cares if google follows me, ive got nothing to hide unlike mr sketchball
    3 Jun, 04:43 PM Reply Like
  • buyandhold???
    Comments (907) | Send Message

great so how do i invest?
    3 Jun, 04:43 PM Reply Like
  • Andreas Hopf
    Comments (7962) | Send Message

"...ive got nothing to hide …"

Could you please send your last 10 years of e-mail communication plus contact lists to my SA inbox? Please include attachments.

Thank you very much for your cooperation!
    3 Jun, 05:06 PM Reply Like
  • aphmd
    Comments (104) | Send Message

More evidence that MSFT and Apple have a common enemy.
    3 Jun, 11:48 AM Reply Like
  • James Angel, CFA
    Comments (8) | Send Message

I'm surprised that Apple isn't rolling out its own search engine. They have the resources and the user base to successfully enter the field. And lots of reasons not to send business off to a competitor like Google.
    3 Jun, 11:52 AM Reply Like
  • DanoX
    Comments (2633) | Send Message

Apple will do search soon, they were busy writing the Swift programing language from the ground up and it was a higher priority than search.
    3 Jun, 12:22 PM Reply Like
  • StepUp
    Comments (425) | Send Message

Rumor has it, Apple will be releasing a search engine.
    4 Jun, 12:14 AM Reply Like
  • silverscreen
    Comments (186) | Send Message

The real challenge for a new search engine is the data behind it, specifically rankings of sites. In other words, before the search engine gives good results, it needs to know that a particular site is good for what search terms and what search context. While the index engine can obviously scan key words and such, the real key data is user clicks. That is why Bing for a while collects user clicks on PC on Google searches. Unless Apple has secretly recorded all that (which is unlikely) it will be very difficult for them to start from scratch.
    4 Jun, 12:29 AM Reply Like
  • DanoX
    Comments (2633) | Send Message

When Apple gets into in-house search and it is inevitable with the Apple maps program, Apple's motivation on what to show on the first page is or will be different than what Google shows the end user, Apple can afford to show results that are in tune with the end user, not the sponsor of an Ad, in the end, the result will be a more satisfied end user and a win for Apple.
    4 Jun, 10:19 PM Reply Like
  • MrMatt
    Comments (1301) | Send Message

Instead of sending business off to Google, they're sending business off to Microsoft.
    Not sure if the competitive argument really makes sense.

From the user side, I hope you can switch it back to Google. I still find the competitors lacking in performance.
    3 Jun, 11:55 AM Reply Like
  • dgulick
    Comments (1396) | Send Message

As if Apple maps wasn't enough of a reason to try Android!
    3 Jun, 02:31 PM Reply Like
  • samkon
    Comments (35) | Send Message

Google Maps in on the App Store for Free..
    3 Jun, 02:47 PM Reply Like
  • dgulick
    Comments (1396) | Send Message

No, it is, and I use it, just annoyed it isn't as connected as Apple maps, like I can't make it the default map for Siri, for example.
    3 Jun, 02:50 PM Reply Like
  • samkon
    Comments (35) | Send Message

It works great for me.. Have you gave it a shot after the updates since the fiasco back in they day
    3 Jun, 02:54 PM Reply Like
  • dgulick
    Comments (1396) | Send Message

Apple maps has gotten better, but still doesn't compare, it often fails to know a location I'm looking for, the search auto-fill/defaults are horrible, and Google's crowd sourced traffic data and gridlock evading/optimized directions are just better.
    3 Jun, 03:00 PM Reply Like
  • thotdoc
    Comments (1488) | Send Message

Likely pay-back for porting Office to iPad.
    3 Jun, 12:01 PM Reply Like
  • userwcSX
    Comments (33) | Send Message

How stupid of Apple. Bing is subpar. DDG is a reskinned Bing.

They can't even create a tortured justification like they did for not supporting Flash, this is purely making user experience worse for their customers for corporate reasons.
    3 Jun, 12:05 PM Reply Like
  • DanoX
    Comments (2633) | Send Message

Flash is dead in moblie long may it die.
    3 Jun, 12:18 PM Reply Like
  • King Rat
    Comments (603) | Send Message

Generally I like your style but you're wrong here. DuckDuckGo is not a reskinned Bing. It uses Bing but not exclusively. Reduction of "ehow" alone makes DuckDuckGo worth it to me. No offense to ehow fans.
    3 Jun, 12:49 PM Reply Like
  • userwcSX
    Comments (33) | Send Message

Meh. Don't particularly care. It was a battery hog and security nightmare, but I don't need my device provider telling me what content types I can view.
    3 Jun, 12:59 PM Reply Like
  • userwcSX
    Comments (33) | Send Message

I was being unkind to DDG by describing them as a reskinning, but without Bing they don't have a service even though they have other search signals than the Bing index score. People I know use them and speak highly of them for the search expressions (! operator in particular) and privacy.
    3 Jun, 01:45 PM Reply Like
  • 12345678910
    Comments (48) | Send Message

They are threatened by Google----so Apple is now defaulting to Bing, Microsoft.
    4 Jun, 10:39 AM Reply Like
  • wil3714
    Comments (1744) | Send Message

Google is a search company why would Apple be threaten by it?

Apple sells devices, Google isnt even in this space since they sold Motorola
    4 Jun, 10:18 PM Reply Like
  • ispank
    Comments (561) | Send Message

What's wrong with GOOG?. It is free falling the last couple days!.
    3 Jun, 12:09 PM Reply Like
  • DanoX
    Comments (2633) | Send Message

It will be back up Hot Air is very nebulous.
    3 Jun, 01:06 PM Reply Like
  • DanoX
    Comments (2633) | Send Message

DuckDuckGo a good pickup Apple, a new company moving up.
    3 Jun, 12:26 PM Reply Like
  • abreik
    Comments (8) | Send Message

Big acquisitions aren't Apple's style, but I'd like to see Apply buy Yahoo and use that as their default search engine.
    3 Jun, 01:54 PM Reply Like
  • silverscreen
    Comments (186) | Send Message

Are you aware that Yahoo actually uses Bing as their search engine?
    3 Jun, 08:40 PM Reply Like
  • abavetta
    Comments (32) | Send Message

Apple let the user choose the search engine Pleeze!!
    3 Jun, 01:59 PM Reply Like
  • aphmd
    Comments (104) | Send Message

The phrase "Google-it" is practically "hard-wired" in the consumers' brain.

This is the biggest obstacle in any competitors' attempt to compete with Google in the "search business". It's a widespread culture, a standard behavior. Call your search-engine whatever you want, the consumer will default to Google.

Unless some new engine could actually revolutionize internet search in a "Job-ian" way, there will be no competition.
    3 Jun, 02:12 PM Reply Like
  • Andreas Hopf
    Comments (7962) | Send Message

Unfortunately, this is what consumer research indeed shows: Google has become synonymous for "to search". Google maps are equally entrenched.

With Android OS at around 80% mobile market share also, Google has become a monopolist with billions of users as happily unpaid employees, perfecting Google's databases with every use of their "free services", which are, in fact, mere data-mining tools in order to sell more advertising.
    3 Jun, 03:36 PM Reply Like
  • Derek A. Barrett
    Comments (3534) | Send Message

Exactly Andreas
    4 Jun, 01:47 PM Reply Like
  • TGIMonday
    Comments (53) | Send Message

To me, the "Google it" phrase has come to mean to research the answer on the internets.
    5 Jun, 02:39 AM Reply Like
  • danielrjohnson
    Comments (53) | Send Message

That's not a barrier at all. Kleenix and Hoover are used generically, and "FedEx it" is used as a common verb, but people still use the other services as they choose.

And Apple does let you choose the search engine for ordinary search, and Google search is also a standalone app you can download. It's just for things that are much more integrated into the OS, like Siri and Spotlight Search, not ordinary search.

Whatever search engine you default to, you can always use the others for ordinary search. And changing the default is simple/easy/child's play.

For those of us more serious about our information, I usually go directly to more relevant sources. I can search Wikipedia, for example, and directly go to much better information and then I'm not bothered with all the stupid ads, and the foolish ordering algorithms that used by ordinary search engines such as Google. And the syntax for search is essentially the same across the main search apps, so once you know it, it easily translates to the others.
    3 Jun, 02:29 PM Reply Like
  • aphmd
    Comments (104) | Send Message

Daniel,

Your analogy with Hoover, etc. isn't accurate. You are referring to services/products that are provided to the consumer at a price.
    Therefore, we will have economic factors influencing the consumers' choice.
    Example: "Why buy Kleenix if I can buy the store brand for less?".

Dyson actually provided a product that was revolutionary to the vacuum business,
    but there was a cost/benefit ratio influencing consumer choice.

At this point in time, these factors are not applicable to the search business.
    3 Jun, 03:15 PM Reply Like
  • Moderation
    Comments (219) | Send Message

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Apple perceives Google as the bigger threat.
    5 Jun, 03:40 AM Reply Like
  • danielrjohnson
    Comments (53) | Send Message

@aphmd

You're right about the fact that the prices can be different, but whether they are higher or lower or the same, people still make a choice to buy, for example, whatever tissues they want to buy, even someone told them to go buy some Kleenex. And someone can tell you to FedEx this please, and its fine to use an alternative. If someone tells me to Google something, I have no problem whatsoever using an alternative search engine. In all these cases, the generification of some brand name registers to most of us as simply a generic replacement, and doesn't (for many of us at least) lead us to use the product or service. That part of my point is the main one, and is still true.

And there is an annoyance factor and "cost" to using Google. I hate the ads they foist on me, and I find their ordering of results in THEIR interest but not mine. It bothers me enough that I seek alternatives. And like I said, for many searches I want to do, I already know that a place like Wikipedia is really where I want to go, so why should I bother my brain with their inane ads? It's far faster and better for me simply go directly to Wikipedia. This is part of the reason why Apple's Spotlight Search is so useful. They actually will be picking the site I want to go to most of the time, without all they stupid ads and paid-for ordering.

The major point is that it is a BETTER USER EXPERIENCE not to use Google, most of the time.
    5 Jun, 09:04 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: