Heard at American Airlines Group's annual shareholder meeting

• American Airlines Group (AAL +2.4%) held its annual shareholder meeting today in New York amid some mild protests over retiree benefits and other labor issues.
  • CEO Doug Parker reigned over the meeting with shares of AAL up over 70% since the combination of AMR and US airways, and for the most sailed through the Q&A part of the session.
  • The exec said the company will consider making some moves to boost shareholder returns.
  • He also noted the American is on track to achieve the promised $1B in net synergies from its merger.
  • American Airlines Annual Shareholder Meeting webcast
Comments (11)
  • JosephCortes
    , contributor
    Comments (527) | Send Message

Oh Yeah! Sounds real good!
    4 Jun 2014, 02:49 PM Reply Like
  • Bryan75
    , contributor
    Comments (20) | Send Message

But what about L Eagle?
    4 Jun 2014, 05:13 PM Reply Like
  • edwardpace
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

Can there be another payout to amr stockholders in June?
    4 Jun 2014, 05:13 PM Reply Like
  • JRS5
    , contributor
    Comments (93) | Send Message

On or after June 30th there MAY be another distribution to AMR shareholders.
    4 Jun 2014, 05:41 PM Reply Like
  • Sean Chandler
    , contributor
    Comments (642) | Send Message

What does this mean?

Man... I am up 160% on this stock (only a very small investment though).. and they're mentioning more returns? lol...
    4 Jun 2014, 07:50 PM Reply Like
  • markcc
    , contributor
    Comments (1237) | Send Message

Sean, I was actually at the meeting and unions and former employees hijacked the time with lengthy discussions about the PRIORITY of retirees getting free tickets. Retiree benefits were already decided by the courts and some did not like that. One guy made a speech about the high salaries the execs at American are getting. Then a bunch of union people came with misinformation in that they believed that they had voted to strike at their local. In fact, if that had happened, the matter would have been taken over under the rules of the Federal Railway Labor Act and would have been turned over to the National Mediation Board. Just false information.

After going to a number of these meetings, I did not see anything that materially changed my opinion of where the company is going.
    5 Jun 2014, 11:07 AM Reply Like
  • dancinboots
    , contributor
    Comments (9) | Send Message

Awesome stock to have bought back before the merger. I rolled with it and am reaping the $$$ :)
    4 Jun 2014, 08:15 PM Reply Like
  • Len Friedman
    , contributor
    Comments (54) | Send Message

I could imagine they'll propose a share buyback which would be of significant value to existing shareholders. There's been a little talk in the press about a possible dividend program launching by year end. And then there's the exciting possibility of further rewards due AAMRQ people of which I'm one. It's been a great, great ride!

Len
    4 Jun 2014, 11:08 PM Reply Like
  • JosephCortes
    , contributor
    Comments (527) | Send Message

kudos!!!
    5 Jun 2014, 08:33 AM Reply Like
  • Richp11387
    , contributor
    Comments (4) | Send Message

I bought both US AIR and American just before the merger and have been smiling all the way to the bank. I'm up around 70% ROI. Hopefully, AAMRQ will add to it when they do another shareholder distribution.
    5 Jun 2014, 11:10 AM Reply Like
  • Len Friedman
    , contributor
    Comments (54) | Send Message

Reading through these comments, I'm struck by the absence of self adulation: Why am I not seeing pride?

We stock marketeers are hardly mice and we're long-distanced from Disney. We are ravenous bears! Hungry for profits and especially when it comes to spotting awesome opportunities aka profit potentials---ESPECIALLY when the pick is so far beneath conventional radar that we ponder the possibility that something is wrong with everyone else!

Arrogant? I think not as I'm never described in that manner. Brilliant? Lucky? Gifted? Pick your adjectives but I believe that these incredible & infrequent winners-by-a-landslide are not accidents at all. In fact, the only person I know firsthand with awesome gains in AAMRQ/AAL is a very close friend I lured into it. So what is afoot?

A foot is an appendage much like a hand or nose. lol (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)I think this crazy luck is an example of nature having its way---our willingness to gamble on our instincts has to be #1 in this search for chicken & egg resolution. Then comes common sense. Intellect has to be part of it and experience, too. So it is likely a case of several factors in play, wedding flatteringly as evidenced via a very pleasant outcome.

Bottom line: We smelled opportunity. We dared to face the odds, knowing full well any associated risks. We committed dollars, time, study and collaborative efforts by soliciting ideas and opinions of others. And today we sit like fat cats. I propose we toast ourselves for having had the wherewithal to plunge into something not immediately definable.

So I'm toasting every one of you. This has been a remarkable journey. I am proud of us all!

Len