The battle for the 12 minutes of breakfast

• Data from NPD Group indicates the average American spends 12 minutes a day on breakfast.
  • The highly-contested daypart pits major cereal sellers such as Kellogg (K), Post Holding (POST), and General Mills (GIS) against fast-food chains like McDonald's (MCD), Starbucks (SBUX), Taco Bell (YUM), and Dunkin' Brands (DNKN).
  • Convenience-store chains are also a major factor as C-stores such as Circle K (ANCUF), 7-11, Pantry (PTRY), BP Connect (BP), On the Run (XOM), Speedway America (MPC), Kwik Shop (KR), and Qwiktrip continue to innovate and show some positive growth trends.
  • What to watch: Analysis from Edward D. Jones suggests consumers tend to stay with their routines. The read is that companies in the breakfast business need to compete for market share within their segment - instead of trying to change consumer behavior. Taco Bell is utilizing that strategy with its marketing message which paints McDonald's as old-fashioned.
Comments (6)
  • SoldHigh
    , contributor
    Comments (995) | Send Message

11 minutes of that is waiting in the drive-thru
    9 Jun, 01:53 PM Reply Like
  • vikramnjnjjdjnd
    , contributor
    Comments (270) | Send Message

Minimum wage increase effect!
    9 Jun, 01:57 PM Reply Like
  • Rubygreta
    , contributor
    Comments (130) | Send Message

Old fashioned? I didn't know, based on the two Taco Bell stores in my area, that Taco Bell was considered "cutting edge."
    9 Jun, 02:02 PM Reply Like
  • lap swimmer
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message

This is completely omitting the dramatic increase of yogurt consumption as a breakfast. This breakfast "segment" is being completely ignored. I consumed two boxes of Gener Mills cereal until several months ago. My refrigerator is now stocked with yogurt (chobani) and there is no milk in my frig. A new five minute breakfast with fewer carbs and fat. my belt size has decreased one inch. A win win for me
    9 Jun, 10:57 PM Reply Like
  • lap swimmer
    , contributor
    Comments (2) | Send Message

This is completely omitting the dramatic increase of yogurt consumption as a breakfast. This breakfast "segment" is being completely ignored. I consumed two boxes of Gener Mills cereal until several months ago. My refrigerator is now stocked with yogurt (chobani) and their is no milk in my frig. A new five minute breakfast with fewer carbs and fat. my belt size has decreased one inch. A win win for me
    9 Jun, 11:05 PM Reply Like
  • WER244@HOTMAIL.COM
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

WHAT BREAKFAST?--IS THAT A MEALTIME OR A TYPE OF FOOD?
    10 Jun, 09:43 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: