Target Corporation declares $0.52 dividend

• Target Corporation (TGT) declares $0.52/share quarterly dividend, 20.9% increase from prior dividend of $0.43.
  • Forward yield 3.66%
  • Payable Sept. 10; for shareholders of record Aug. 20; ex-div Aug. 18.
Comments (24)
  • mbn
    Comments (599) | Send Message

Much larger increase than I expected. In fact, based on what WMT did, I actually expected an increase in the single digit range.

Very pleased. The 1st step toward re-gaining public trust. A small step, but a vital one.

Now go fix the issues in Canada.
    11 Jun 2014, 02:13 PM Reply Like
  • Bingy77
    Comments (158) | Send Message

Wow i am actually very shocked by this increase.. management must feel very certain about their future.

Long tgt
    11 Jun 2014, 02:13 PM Reply Like
  • MintyFresh32
    Comments (372) | Send Message

Either that or they feel a lot of pressure to compensate shareholders for the recent turmoil and price declines. I love the large raise, but it comes at the expense of a much higher payout ratio. See http://bit.ly/1lfB1Es
    11 Jun 2014, 09:55 PM Reply Like
  • chammond63
    Comments (102) | Send Message

Wow, this is going to surprise a lot of people. Looks like they're going with the BP strategy of hiking the dividend as they attempt to regain public confidence
    11 Jun 2014, 02:15 PM Reply Like
  • Big Thunder
    Comments (654) | Send Message

In the Q1 conference call they announced their intention to increase the dividend about as much as they had last year. Very glad to see they carried through with that!
    11 Jun 2014, 02:24 PM Reply Like
  • AnAvgJoe
    Comments (398) | Send Message

BOOM!
    11 Jun 2014, 02:29 PM Reply Like
  • Slick E
    Comments (134) | Send Message

Did not see that coming.
    11 Jun 2014, 02:31 PM Reply Like
  • RSRinehart
    Comments (459) | Send Message

A very positive sign. TGT gets ever more tempting.
    11 Jun 2014, 02:42 PM Reply Like
  • Cheesehusker
    Comments (315) | Send Message

Awesome - time to buy even more
    11 Jun 2014, 02:42 PM Reply Like
  • User 5935901
    Comments (44) | Send Message

Target must be desperate to keep investors from fleeing. I would prefer a steady increase over a massive increase, since historically dividend growth outperforms dividend yield, but its always nice to see more money flowing to shareholders.
    11 Jun 2014, 03:13 PM Reply Like
  • Eric Landis
    Comments (1270) | Send Message

Just doubled my position with a new buy at $57.15.

Not too often you get a forward yield of 3.6% with Target.
    11 Jun 2014, 03:37 PM Reply Like
  • Dividend Growth Jedi
    Comments (360) | Send Message

come on guys, read a 10-k or conference call once in awhile instead of the articles...this was all there and shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone
    11 Jun 2014, 03:46 PM Reply Like
  • Bingy77
    Comments (158) | Send Message

Yes I read it and listened to the call, but with Canada and the credit card crisis, it is hard to believe they would continue with the 20% unless they see improvement.

Saying and doing are two different things.. cough cough ARCP
    11 Jun 2014, 03:53 PM Reply Like
  • chammond63
    Comments (102) | Send Message

You can't tell me you expected a 20% dividend hike..
    11 Jun 2014, 03:56 PM Reply Like
  • Dividend Growth Jedi
    Comments (360) | Send Message

ok Chammond

"We returned $272 million in dividends this quarter, up from $232 million last year as our $0.43 per share quarterly dividend was more than 19% higher than a year ago. We plan to recommend that our Board authorize another similar increase this summer."

Bingy,
    I don't think tgt management are liars. They stick to what they say. Sure they botched some things and made mistakes but it doesn't mean theyd lie to shareholder to upset them in a time theyre already upset.
    11 Jun 2014, 04:20 PM Reply Like
  • chammond63
    Comments (102) | Send Message

Their payout ratio increased from 29% in 2013 to 51% in 2014. I'd like to think I have a right to be skeptical of another dividend hike from TGT like that which was announced today
    11 Jun 2014, 04:30 PM Reply Like
  • Dividend Growth Jedi
    Comments (360) | Send Message

Very true
    Suspending the buyback freed up a lot of cash too. They spent more on buybacks in 2013 than dividends.
    11 Jun 2014, 04:40 PM Reply Like
  • chammond63
    Comments (102) | Send Message

Agreed. I doubt many investors view the suspension of the buyback as all that unfavorable given the rate at which TGT's share outstanding have decreased over the past several years. I expect this dividend hike to be the catalyst TGT needs to outperform WMT, which continues to remain range bound
    11 Jun 2014, 04:47 PM Reply Like
  • Mvkingfish
    Comments (64) | Send Message

As a retiree, I'll take 3.6% while I wait for a stock that's probably near the bottom.
    11 Jun 2014, 03:59 PM Reply Like
  • SteveTheHawk
    Comments (1606) | Send Message

Allow me to join the chorus and say that I never expected that much of an increase. TGT is about 3% of our div portfolio. I'm not ready to take that higher, but I must say that I'm glad I didn't sell.

That's a lovely increase. It might even help offset the lousy WMT increase this year.
    11 Jun 2014, 04:58 PM Reply Like
  • FleetUSA3226
    Comments (803) | Send Message

Yep, they said they would do that.
    11 Jun 2014, 05:00 PM Reply Like
  • Dividend Accumulator
    Comments (26) | Send Message

No surprise at all. As others have mentioned, they explicitly announced they would increase it 20% later this year in Q1 Earnings report. This was already with the known issues in Canada and Privacy / Credit Card breach. My only reason for hesitation and the only thing that has changed since is a new CEO which could have changed course. I'm glad to see shareholders being put first! (As I am one of them and TGT is one of my top two biggest holdings by % along with COH) I'll gladly sit on the 3.6% dividend even if they reduce future dividend growth moving forward since earnings aren't increasing at the same rate, and when the business recovers we will see 20-30 short term capital gains upside in the next several years. Great news for TGT shareholders!
    11 Jun 2014, 05:50 PM Reply Like
  • 9895461
    Comments (87) | Send Message

A 20% raise is a nice way to start the morning. :)
    12 Jun 2014, 06:04 AM Reply Like
  • Tradevestor
    Comments (4104) | Send Message

Here is a quick analysis of Target's dividend increase

12 Jun 2014, 08:14 AM Reply Like